Anita Borg Memorial scholarship program, presently called the Women Techmakers scholars program, is Google's attempt to pitch more opportunities to women and further Dr. Anita Borg's vision of achieving gender equality in the tech industry.
Dr. Anita Borg (1949-2003) was a firm believer in the multidimensional influence of technology on the various aspects of one’s personal life ranging from economic and social to political. She was a technology rebel with a cause and fought tirelessly to achieve a positive technological impact in the world. Even today, she continues to impact lives with her exemplary devotion that attempted to revolutionize the concept of technology and dismantle the hindrances that prevent women and children from entering the spheres of computers and technology. In her honour, Google proudly supports women in technology with the following scholarship programs:
The scholarship available for Indian students is the Women Techmakers Scholarship for Computer Science.
The scholarship’s primary objective is to encourage women to enter the computer and technology spheres and to secure and pitch gender neutrality in the tech industry.
The Anita Borg Scholarship program consists of three elements:
- Scholarship - An academic scholarship awarded based on academic performance, leadership, and impact on the women community in tech.
- Retreat - An opportunity that offers a platform for the beneficiaries to connect with mentors and fellow scholars and attend various workshops and expand their knowledge.
- Community - An online network that allows the beneficiaries to connect with the fellow participants of the scholars’ program and share information and resources, uplift the global community of women in tech, and also collaborate on various projects to maintain a continued impact.
Amount: 1. A sum of 10,000 USD (for students in the US) or $5,000 CAD (for students in Canada) or 7,000 EUR under the Women Techmakers Scholarship for Computer Science and Gaming. 2. Exclusive invitation to participate in the annual Google Scholars Retreat of the year 2020. 3. Accessibility to professional development and community service opportunities. 4. Accessibility to the global community of scholars to exchange ideas, resources, and information related to their fields and also encourage and uplift fellow women in tech, and collaborate on various projects to secure a considerable impact on the community.
- The applicant must identify as a female to be eligible for the Anita Borg Scholarship.
- The applicant must presently be enrolled at an accredited university in an undergraduate program for the given academic year.
- The applicant should be in the first or second year of the undergraduate program.
- The applicant must be studying computer engineering, computer science, or a closely related technical field.
- The applicant must demonstrate a strong and appreciable academic record.
- The applicant must possess qualities to prove fit for positions of responsibilities and must demonstrate vehement passion towards increasing and encouraging the involvement of women in technology (i.e. computer science or gaming).
- Applicant's basic background information, which includes contact information and information about the applicant's current and intended institutions.
- Current resume (updated)
- Academic scores (latest)
- Responses to two short answer questions
Terms and conditions
- The beneficiary is strictly required to use the funds allotted under the scholarship either on tuition, fees, books or supplies, and other necessities required for her academics.
- The beneficiary must be enrolled as a full-time student for each of the academic years for which he/she is funded. Enrollment and academic records will be verified after the winners are selected and again in each subsequent year of study to verify continued fulfillment of eligibility requirements for the duration of the scholarship.
- The university reserves the right to withhold the awards in case the scholar fails to meet the eligibility requirements, and the university also reserves the right to revoke the award if any scholar fails to maintain the eligibility requirements for any remaining year of her undergraduate studies.
- All scholarship payments will be transferred directly to the beneficiary for her to use towards her respective requirements which may include tuition and education-related expenses as described above.
- Current employees of Google are exempted from applying for Google scholarships.
- Google may retain anonymized versions of application submissions as a reference for future
Scholarships will be awarded based on the strength of candidates' academic background and demonstrated leadership.
Sign In / Sign Up to Know More about this Scholarship