Centennial College Overview
Centennial College - Overview & Background
Centennial College of Applied Arts and Technology is a diploma and degree granting college located in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. It is the oldest publicly funded college in Ontario and was established on May 21, 1965, under the direction of the Hon. William Davis, Minister of Education.
It is one of the most diverse colleges and represents almost 100 ethno-cultural groups. Centennial was the second postsecondary institution in Canada to join the United Nations Scholars at Risk Network, which seeks to protect international scholars threatened by displacement, discrimination, censorship and harassment and allowing them to work in a safe learning environment in Canada.
In 2011, the new Library and Academic Facility at Progress Campus was opened which was a big step taken by the college towards reducing its carbon footprint. In addition to providing a much-needed new library to facilitate study and research for the students, the college also houses LEED Gold-certified building which is an on-site teaching tool for the School of Engineering Technology and Applied Science.
Hon. William Davis
Public Research University
Transforming lives and communities through learning
|Faculty to Student Ratio||
Official Website Link
Centennial was ranked as one of Canada's Top 10 Research Colleges for the first time in its history in 2016. Centennial offers more than 260 programs in the diverse fields of study.
Centennial College has the following campuses-
- Morningside Campus - It houses the School of Community and Health Studies, as well as selected Engineering Technology and Applied Science programs.
- Progress Campus- It offers programs in computer science and technology, business, and hospitality and culinary arts.
- Ashtonbee Campus- It houses the automotive services technician, career and college transition, motive power technician, auto body repair technician, general arts and science, and other programs.
- Downsview Campus- It provides additional instruction space for the existing programs along with new programs in Aerospace Manufacturing delivered by the School of Engineering Technology and Applied Science.
- Story Arts Centre- The campus houses Centennial's award-winning School of Communications, Media, Arts and Design. It offers courses like advertising and public relations and professionally oriented programs in the arts, such as digital animation and game design.
Centennial College Virtual Tour
Students can choose to live either on campus or off campus. The campus residence has state-of-the-art accommodations with a 24-hour fitness centre, spacious study and purpose-built lounges, fully-furnished rooms, and an active social calendar – all in a perfect location. The Centennial College Student Association Inc. (CCSAI) partners with an off-campus housing service company called Places4Students Inc. The company makes sure that finding a home is a hassle-free process for students through its free-to-search database, which lets students see the property before deciding to contact the landlord.
The college offers bursaries, awards and scholarships for international students. Centennial's Academic Scholarships and Awards are based on academic, artistic, athletic or other abilities, and usually factor in extracurricular activities or community service work. An application is not required for these scholarships.
However, only students with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 and above are considered for these awards.
Some of the scholarships are:
- The Centennial College Alumni Association Full Tuition Scholarship
- The Smart Serve Leadership Scholarship
- The Active
- Green + Ross Scholarship
- The Aditya Jha International Business Scholarship
- The BOLT Charitable Foundation Scholarship
- The CIBC Scholarship
Jobs and Placement
Job seekers benefit from the Work Placement Specialist provided by the college who increases their chances of employment by introducing them to exclusive employers. The specialist assists students with the apprenticeship registration process, matches them with jobs relevant to their field, fund the cost of tools, equipment and certifications necessary for employment, inspect their worksite to ensure safety on-the-job and provide support during the probationary period.
Some famous alumni from Centennial College include:
- Shaquille Agard, Guyanese soccer player who plays as a forward for Master's FA in League1 Ontario
- Jeff Chapman, Better known by the pseudonym Ninjalicious, was a Toronto-based urban explorer, fountaineer, writer and founder of the urban exploration zine
- Mario Felice Ferri, Italian-Canadian community organizer, activist, municipal and regional councilor
- Diana Valerie Cabrera, Uruguayan-Canadian sports shooter
- Murtz Jaffer, Canadian entertainment journalist. He hosted the television show Reality Obsessed that aired on TVTropolis and the Global Reality Channel in Canada
- John Child, Retired professional Canadian male beach volleyball player
- Diana Michele Capponi, Canadian mental health activist, psychiatric survivor, and community leader
- John Franklin Candy, Canadian actor and comedian known mainly for his work in Hollywood films
Centennial College Location
The nearest airport to Centennial-College is Billy Bishop Toronto City (YTZ) Airport which is 21.1 km away.
Other nearby airports include :
- Toronto (YYZ) (32.3 km)
- Buffalo (BUF) (102.7 km)
- Rochester (ROC) (146 km)
- London (YXU) (175.9 km)
The college can also arrange a pick up for students from the airport.
Public transportation facilities like :
- Toronto Transit Commission
- Union Pearson Express
- GO Transit
- Mississauga Transit
- Brampton Transit
can also be used to commute to the college.
Centennial College Map Location
Address: 941 Progress Ave, Scarborough, ON M1G 3T8, Canada
Frequently Asked Questions about Centennial College
Is Centennial College a good College?
Choosing Centennial College as an international student may end up being one of the most exciting, significant, and life-altering choices you will ever make. Centennial graduates can find employment immediately. Over 94 percent of employers who hire Centennial graduates are pleased or extremely pleased with their selections.
Is Centennial College is private or government?
Centennial College is a recognized Public College in Ontario. Its programs comply with the educational criteria established by the Ministry of Advanced Education and Skills Development in Ontario. High academic standards and strict quality controls in Canada guarantee a top-notch education that will advance your profession in the long run and be recognized across the world.
What is Centennial College known for?
Centennial College is ranked eighth in Canada among 125+ community colleges, for applied research activity in 2017. The College is third in Canada for most employed students and their payments for conducting applied research activities.
How to get into Centennial College?
Select a program of your choice first, and then finish the online application. Once you're finished, email your application materials—which should be scanned copies of your transcripts and other essential application materials—directly to the International Admissions team you are assigned.