DAAD (Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst) Scholarships are highly competitive scholarships awarded by the German Academic Exchange Service. The scholarship program provides financial assistance to international graduate, doctoral, and postdoctoral researchers who wish to study, research, or teach in Germany. Indian students are eligible for 20 DAAD scholarships from the 180 different scholarship options available to all international students.
The scholarship offers a monthly stipend, travel allowances, health insurance, and language course support. The scholarship duration varies, depending on the program and level of study.
DAAD Scholarships are highly prestigious and offer students an excellent opportunity to gain valuable academic and cultural experiences. The scholarship recipients are selected based on their academic achievements, personal and professional goals, and potential to contribute to their respective fields.
German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD)
Graduate and Doctoral candidates: 934 EUR per month
Post Doc candidates: 1,200 EUR per month
Type of scholarship
Level of program
Graduate, Doctoral, Postdoctoral
15 January 2024
What are the Benefits covered by the DAAD Scholarship?
DAAD Scholarships come with wider coverage of expenses that an international student has to meet in Germany, including:
- Travel expenses
- Family allowances
- Health insurances
Also, DAAD Scholarships allow students to work part-time or receive other scholarships, provided the earnings from those would not exceed 520 EUR per month. It’s important to note that DAAD scholarships do not cover the tuition fee.
What are the eligibility criteria for the DAAD scholarship?
- Academic excellence
- Involvement in social activities
- Work experience of minimum 2 years
- Certificate proving language competency - English or German
- A research proposal written by the applicant
- Academic degrees should not be older than 6 years
What is the application process for the DAAD scholarship?
Since DAAD Scholarships are offered by diverse bodies, there might be a variation in the application procedure for each scholarship. A typical DAAD scholarship application involves the following steps:
- The application process is online & can be done via the official DAAD portal.
- Go to the scholarship database and choose your scholarship.
- Fill out the application and submit it. Applicants will get an email confirming their application submission.
- Cover letter and CV (hand-signed as recommended by Europass)
- Certificates (academic and financial)
- Assessments from professors
- Letter of motivation
- Higher education certificates
Apply here for DAAD scholarships
How to get selected for the DAAD scholarship?
From a cluster of applications every year, DAAD Scholarship beneficiaries are selected in the following way:
- A separate selection committee will review the scholarship applications.
- The selection is based on the applicant’s study objectives, academic achievements, extracurricular activities, and social involvement. Language skills may also be a consideration for some scholarships.
- An interview of the shortlisted candidates may happen in person or online.
What are the contact details of the DAAD scholarship?
DLTA Complex, R.K. Khanna Stadium, 1 Africa Avenue
New Delhi 110029
Email: [email protected]
Disclaimer: The information on this page is taken from the official website of DAAD. See the original source for any change in the data provided, like dates, facts, etc.
Frequently asked questions
Is there any age limit for DAAD Scholarships?
No. There are no age limits for DAAD Scholarships.
What are the minimum entrance test scores required for the DAAD Scholarships?
- IELTS - 6.0
- TOEFL iBT - 80
- TOEFL computer-based - 213
- TOEFL paper-based - 550
- German: DSH -2, or Testdaf - 4, Level B1
Is it mandatory to get acceptance for the study program to apply for DAAD Scholarships?
No, applicants can apply for DAAD Scholarships before getting an acceptance for a study program.
Are there any country-specific regulations for the DAAD Scholarships application process?
Except for students from China, there are no country-specific regulations to apply for DAAD Scholarships.
How many programs can be applied for with a single application form?
Students can apply for up to 3 programs when they fill out the application form for DAAD Scholarships.
Are there any exams after being shortlisted for DAAD Scholarships?
No. After shortlisting, there might be an interview with the student, and no exams are conducted after shortlisting the students.