Central Queensland University Overview
Central Queensland University - Overview & Background
Central Queensland University was founded in Rockhampton in 1967 and now has more than 30,000 students spread across 24 campuses and locations all over Australia. It is regarded within the sector as Australia’s most inclusive and engaged university. The university has more than 300 courses across six areas of discipline, from short course and certificate level courses through to PhD courses. It is a National ELT Accreditation Scheme (NEAS) accredited institution.
Queensland Institute of Technology (Capricornia) (1967–1992)
William Forgan Smith
Public Research University
|Brisbane, Bundaberg, Emerald, Geraldton, Gladstone, Mackay, Melbourne, Rockhampton, Noosa, Adelaide, Cairns, Perth, Townsville, Aramac and Sydney, Queensland, New South Wales|
|Faculty to Student Ratio||
400 acres (161 hectares)
Official Website Link
It has been recognised among the top 800 universities worldwide by the Times Higher Education World Rankings. It has also ranked within the world’s top 650 universities by QS World University Rankings and as one of the world’s best universities under 50 years of age by the Times Higher Education and QS World University Rankings.
The university develops strong and mutually beneficial partnerships with business and industry. This includes opportunities related to research, scholarships, training, etc. They have established strong links with renowned industry partners, from both the public and private sectors, through research collaboration, integrated learning opportunities, scholarships and funding. These partnerships result in real benefits for the industry, business, community and students. The university is also involved in a wide range of research projects.
The research strengths of the university are in the following areas:
- Healthy Behaviours At Work, Rest And Play
- Psychology And Well-being
- Public Health And Health Promotion
- Learning Equity, Access And Participation
- Nursing Workforce, Education And Health Service Delivery
- Mental Health
- Domestic Violence
- Railway Engineering
- Smart Systems
- Clean Energy
- Agricultural Systems
- Environmental Systems
- Exercise And Sports Science
- Applied Medical Health
Central Queensland University Virtual Tour
Residential options are available at Capricornia College Rockhampton and Canefield College Mackay. The students in the residential options are helped through supported learning. They also take part in the socio-cultural events apart from the excursions nearby. The accommodation has the following amenities:
- Free Wi-Fi
- 24 hours on-site assistance and security
- Easy access to gym and sports facilities
- Organised activities each term
- Free weekly bus trips to Stockland shopping centre
- Annual events including Colour Run, College Ball and Awards Night
- Included meals (for selected Capricornia College room types)
- Free laundry facilities
The university has 15 campus libraries situated across Australia at:
- Gladstone - Marina
- Gladstone - City
- Mackay - Ooralea
- Mackay - City
- Rockhampton - North
- Rockhampton - City
The library offers collaborative and innovative information literacy support to students regardless of location and their mode of study. Campus libraries provide learning spaces and resources which enhance the learning experience.
Research labs include:
- Appleton Institute
- Physical Activity Research Group
- Centre for Intelligent Systems
- Centre for Railway Engineering
- Centre for Regional Advancement of Learning, Equity, Access and Participation (LEAP)
- Centre for Tourism and Regional Opportunities
- Institute for Future Farming Systems
- Precision Livestock Management
- Precision Horticulture
- Non-Invasive Sensor Technology
- Queensland Centre for Domestic and Family Violence Research
- Centre for Indigenous Health Equity Research
Financial constraints can be the hardest part of being a student. Constantly living on a small fixed income away from home not only impacts the student’s academic performance but steals his/her peace of mind. Central Queensland University offers financial assistance to students struggling with money. With their multiple domestic and international scholarship programs, they welcome international students with open arms.
Jobs and Placements
The 2018 Graduate Outcomes Survey (GOS) indicates that it is among the top universities in Australia on the basis of full-time employment and salaries at both an undergraduate and postgraduate level.
The Quality Indicators of Learning and Teaching (QILT) data shows that 80.4% of the undergrads find full-time employment within three months of graduation. The national average is 70.6%.
The university also scores for the graduate starting salaries. The median undergraduate starting salary is AU$62,600 compared to the national average of AU$58,000.
The CQUni Careers page shows prospective career options and opportunities available for its students. By promoting vacancies on the Career Hub page, the university connects employers with suitable students and graduates who are looking for jobs.
Some famous alumni from Central Queensland University include:
- Jone Logavatu Kalouniwai, Major general in the Republic of Fiji Military Forces (RFMF)
- Maryam Osama Khalil Omar, Engineer and cricketer who plays for the Kuwait women's national cricket team as a right handed batting all-rounder
- Paul Ettore Tabone, Dubbed “Australia’s own Bocelli,” is an Australia-born lyric tenor opera singer and musical theater actor
- Wayne Blair, Australian writer, actor and director. He was on both sides of the camera in Redfern Now
- Yohani Diloka de Silva, Sri Lankan singer, songwriter, rapper, music producer, and YouTuber.
- Daryl William Mathew Gabriel McInnes, Australian film and television actor and writer. He portrayed the role of Matt Tivolli in The Time of Our Lives
- Julian Paul Assange, Australian editor, publisher, and activist who founded WikiLeaks
Central Queensland University Location
The university has 16 campuses including the newly merged regional Queensland campuses in:
- Mackay and Rockhampton
Along with existing campuses in:
Other locations of the CQUniversity are:
- Charters Towers
There are city bus services and cabs are also freely available. Students can also opt for the cab aggregators.
International airports in Queensland are located at:
- The Gold Coast (Gold Coast Airport)
- Brisbane (Brisbane Airport)
- Cairns (Cairns Airport)
- Townsville (Townsville Airport).
Domestic air services are located at :
- Karumba (Karumba Airport)
- Normanton (Normanton Airport)
- Burketown (Burketown Airport)
- Mt Isa (Mount Isa Airport)
- Proserpine (Proserpine Airport)
- Mackay (Mackay Airport)
- Rockhampton (Rockhampton Airport)
- Gladstone (Gladstone Airport)
- Bundaberg (Bundaberg Airport)
- Maroochy (Sunshine Coast Airport)
The Queensland Rail City network provides urban, suburban and inter-urban electric passenger railway services in South East Queensland, Australia.
Central Queensland University Map Location
Address: 554-700 Yaamba Rd, Norman Gardens QLD 4701, Australia
Frequently Asked Questions about Central Queensland University
Why choose CQUniversity?
According to CompareEd, the majority of CQU students had favorable opinions of the university's facilities, teaching, and learning resources. The QS Stars Rating System gave it a five-star rating for teaching due to its small class sizes and strong student feedback.
Is Cqu a good university?
According to the QS World University Rankings 2022, CQUniversity is among the top 650 universities worldwide, making it one of the best institutions for both research and education. CQUniversity is one of the top 100 institutions in the world under 50, ranking alongside 14 other young Australian universities.
What does CQUniversity do better than other Australian universities?
As its reputation grows in various ratings and rankings systems in Australia and throughout the world, CQUniversity has become one of Australia's genuinely great universities. It is ranked number one in Australia for student support, learner engagement, learning resources, skills development, teaching quality, and entire educational experience in undergraduate dentistry.
Is Cqu good for nursing?
The nursing programme at CQUniversity gives students expanded study opportunities while preparing them for a career as registered nurses. It aids in developing their professional identities and equips them with the skills necessary through cutting-edge learning technology, genuine evaluations, and a comprehensive approach to work-integrated learning to successfully advance in the nursing sector.