Fanshawe College, London (Canada) Overview
Fanshawe College Overview & Background
James A. Colvin
Public Research University
|London, Ontario, Canada|
|Faculty to Student Ratio||
Official Website Link
Fanshawe College Virtual Tour
Fanshawe College’s educational curriculum and teaching methodology caters to the needs of the contemporary labour market. One of Ontario's largest colleges.
Fanshawe College has the following campuses:
- London campus
- Londontown campus
- London South Campus
- St. Thomas/Elgin Regional Campus
- Simcoe/Norfolk Regional Campus
- Woodstock/Oxford Regional Campus
It has Huron/Bruce regional sites as well. The college offers over 200 degree, certificate, diploma and apprenticeship programs houses around 43,000 students. With the sectoral training councils, community organizations, and private sector employers in the industrial and services, health, and business sectors, the college provides reskilling and skill upgrading opportunities.
The following are the schools under the college:
- Donald J. Smith School of Building Technology
- English Language Institute
- Lawrence Kinlin School of Business
- Norton Wolf School of Aviation Technology
- School of Applied Science and Technology
- School of Community Studies
- School of Contemporary Media
- School of Design
- School of Digital and Performing Arts
- School of Health Sciences
- School of Information Technology
- School of Language and Liberal Studies
- School of Nursing
- School of Public Safety
- School of Tourism, Hospitality and Culinary Arts
- School of Transportation Technology and Apprenticeship
Fanshawe offers the following types of scholarships:
- Program specific scholarships
- College wide and graduation scholarships
- International student scholarships
- Entrance (first time student) scholarships
- Athletic scholarships
- Continuing education and mature student scholarships
- Scholarships for students with disabilities
- Fanshawe College Varsity Athletics Bursary
Students can apply online based on their eligibility.
There are various kinds of scholarships available for international students like international scholarships, study abroad scholarships, international in-course scholarships. These scholarships can be applied for by those who have a valid study permit and international VISA and are currently enrolled in Fanshawe College.
The accommodation options for Fanshawe students are administered and offered through the International Office and the assistance of the Accommodation Coordinator.
The various options are:
- Homestay: The Canada Homestay Network (CHN) manages Homestay for Fanshawe College. It provides international students with warm homestays and custodianship services so that they feel supported and a sense of belongingness during their study in Canada.
- On-campus residence: The three traditional residences on campus and townhouse units at 900 Fanshawe College Blvd provide a total of 1200 spaces. Therefore, students get a convenient and spacious living experience if they opt for on-campus housing.
- Off-campus housing: Fanshawe also offers a Housing Mediation service. It is a free confidential resource to assist in the immediate resolution of problems that may crop up in the areas of housing and lifestyles.
Along with state-of-the-art learning facilities, they have a number of cafeterias and restaurants, and four student residences. The college also houses a fitness centre, bookstore, sports facilities, and a computer store. Fanshawe College has a library that students can access online also. The entire catalogue from the library is available online.
Jobs and Placements
The employment rate for graduates from Fanshawe College is 90.3% and tops among all colleges in the province. Fanshawe has such great placements due to its Career Services department. As per PSE Information Systems, the department was ranked the most impressive model in Canadian colleges for the extensive services available to students and alumni.
The college provides a 6-week (150 hours) employment opportunity in a workplace environment. Participants can supplement their resume with related work experience and a valuable reference.
The placement unit of the college provides career consulting for the students and also organises career fairs for its students. Employers can also post openings on the college portal. Workshops related to job hunting, writing resumes, demo interviews, etc. are also conducted.
Some famous alumni from Fanshawe College, London include:
- Kelley Armstrong, Canadian writer, primarily of fantasy novels since 2001
- Cheryl Hickey, Host of ET Canada, an entertainment news magazine for Global Television Network
- Bruce Smith, former politician in Ontario, Canada
- Nathan Robitaille, Canadian sound editor. He is best known for his work on the film The Shape of Water
- Glenn Edward Thibeault, former Canadian politician. He was Liberal member of the Legislative Assembly of Ontario
- Anne Marie DeCicco Best, 60th and longest-serving mayor of London, Ontario, Canada.
- Chantal Duhaime, Canadian curler from Barrie, Ontario. She currently plays third for Team Jacqueline Harrison
- William Peter Randall, Canadian musician and municipal politician.
Fanshawe College Location
The Fanshawe College is 5 kilometres from the London International Airport and is a 5-6 minute cab ride and takes around 15 minutes by bus. The London railway station is a major interchange for trains running from Toronto west to Sarnia and Windsor.
London, Ontario, is recognized in Canada and around the world as a centre for education and cutting-edge research. It is among Ontario's main business and cultural hubs.The city also boasts of a number of getaway locations and parks, namely Springbank Park, Victoria Park, Budweiser Gardens, and Storybook Gardens. Students can also visit Covent Market for some shopping or walk down to the Eldon House nearby. You can also visit the St. Peter's Cathedral Basilica, or the beautifully restored Fanshawe Pioneer Village.
Fanshawe College Map Location
Address: 1001 Fanshawe College Blvd, London, ON N5Y 5R6, Canada