Federation University Australia Overview
Federation University - Overview & Background
The Federation University Australia (FedUni) is a public, dual-sector university situated in Ballarat in Victoria, Australia. It is the fourth oldest tertiary education institution in Australia. With the merging of the University of Ballarat and Monash University's Gippsland campus in 2013, the university changed its name to Federation University from 2014.
The university also has campuses in Ararat, Horsham, Stawell, Churchill, and Berwick, as well as online technical and further education (TAFE) courses and Horsham's Higher Education Nursing program. The university welcomes international students for both full-time and short courses and offers many scholarships (check eligibility), bursaries and grants.
Public Research University
The desire to transform lives and enhance communities informs everything we do
|Ballarat, Churchill, Berwick, Brisbane and Horsham, Victoria|
|Faculty to Student Ratio||
Official Website Link
+61 1800 333 864
Federation University Virtual Tour
Residences are located across Ballarat and offer a mix of accommodation options, including flexible catering, units, houses, apartments that are located both on and off-campus.
The Peter Lalor Hall provides accommodation in single bedrooms with shared facilities. Peter Lalor residents can just walk to their classes. Peter Lalor units accommodate around 10 to 12 students with each unit containing a kitchen/common area, two bathrooms and single study bedrooms.
The Bella Guerin Hall is located in the Mt. Helen Campus. The units in Bella Guerin Hall are separate two-storeyed buildings, each housing 11 students with shared kitchen, living and dining space, and two bathrooms.
Located only minutes from the Mt Helen Campus, Jemacra Place is an ideal location, close to public transport as well as a shopping centre with supermarket, chemist, butcher and post office. This student community consists of five and six-bedroom houses, each with 2 bathrooms, fully equipped kitchen, living, dining and laundry facilities, paved outdoor area with pergola and landscaped gardens.
Camp Street is situated at the heart of Ballarat, just minutes away from restaurants, nightclubs, shopping strips and the cinema. The apartments and ensuite rooms are located above the University’s lecture halls, studios and galleries. The residences include ensuite studio rooms with kitchenettes and four-bedroom units with fully equipped kitchen and common area.
The Victoria Street House is a large historic mansion and can accommodate 6 students in large bed/study rooms. A well-appointed self-catering kitchen, dining room, spacious TV room and laundry facilities are available for the residents. The Victoria Street Hotel has the capacity of hosting 12 students in large single rooms with en suites. There is also a large fully equipped self-catering kitchen.
Research Institutes and Centres
- Institute for Regional and Rural Research and Innovation
- Geotechnical and Hydrogeological Engineering Research Group
- Collaborative Research Centre in Australian History
Federation University has libraries located at :
- Mt Helen
- Wimmera campuses
The Libraries are committed to supporting students by providing targeted and mobile services and aiming to provide a range of high-quality scholarly information resources and services to the FedUni community. FedUni students can borrow items from any FedUni campus library by producing their University ID card.
- Emergency Aid is for students in immediate financial crisis and is provided in the form of gift cards which can be used to purchase items such as food, fuel, and clothing.
- Student Grant is money given to students who are experiencing temporary financial problems and are unable to pay back a student loan. Grants can be utilized for household expenses such as utility costs and essential medical expenses and can only be accessed once per academic year. Student grants are applicable to only exceptional circumstances.
- Student Loan is an interest-free loan for students experiencing financial problems. Students should prove that they can repay the loan without any problem. Loans can be up to $1,000 without a guarantor, or $1,001 to $2,000 with a guarantor.
Jobs and Placements
Students are given on-campus placements by different organisations. The Career Accelerate Program (CAP) is a professional development program that assists students in enhancing their employability and skills. CAP is available to all the FedUni students and is a compulsory component of the Industry Placement Program. An organization registered with the University CareerHub system can post a job on the University electronic billboard. Employers can post:
- Part-time or casual jobs
Discipline related jobs for students and graduates
Upon conducting the 2018 Graduate Outcomes Survey, it was revealed that 89.5 percent of the undergraduates were employed out of which 78.3 percent of Federation University undergraduates were employed full time, above the national average of 72.9 percent. The university also ranked top of all Australian universities for employability satisfaction in the 2018 Employer Satisfaction Survey at 91 percent. It was also reported that most of the students stay and work in the regions where they studied, contributing to the local economy. 63% of graduates from postgraduate programs go on to work in the regional areas.
Some famous alumni from Federation University Australia include:
- Sir Thomas Peel Dunhill, Australian thyroid surgeon and honorary surgeon to the monarchs of the United Kingdom.
- Katherine Jessie Jean "Kate" Allen, Australian-Austrian triathlete
- Lewis Windermere Nott, Australian politician, medical practitioner and hospital superintendent.
- Isaac Smith, Australian rules football player who plays with the Geelong Football Club in the Australian Football League
- Tan Sri Dr. Palan, Social entrepreneur, educator and author
- Darren Leicester Cheeseman, Australian politician
- Phillip Bellingham, Australian cross-country skier from Mount Beauty, Victoria.
- Stephen Phillip Bracks AC, Former Australian politician and was the 44th Premier of Victoria
- Emma Michelle Kearney, Australian rules footballer and former cricketer
Federation University Location
The university also has campuses in Ballarat, Berwick, Brisbane, Gippsland and the Wimmera... Federation University’s airport transfer service is available to international students. This service offers transfer from Melbourne Tullamarine International Airport to Ballarat, Gippsland and Berwick campuses. The University also provides airport shuttle services from the above three campuses. Other transport facilities include bus and carpool services and cycling.
Federation University Map Location
Address: 100 Clyde Rd, Berwick VIC 3806, Australia