Study Engineering at George Brown College
George Brown College of Applied Arts and Technology is a public and fully accredited college of applied arts and technology with three full campuses located in downtown Toronto (Ontario, Canada). George Brown has 3 main campuses - the Casa Loma campus, St. James campus, and Waterfront campus. Following are the centres and the schools under the college:
- Preparatory & Liberal Studies
- Arts, Design & Information Technology
- Community Services & Early Childhood
- Health Sciences
- Hospitality & Culinary Arts
- Construction & Engineering Technologies
Located in the heart of downtown Toronto, the college is surrounded by potential employers, and many of them work closely with the college in providing skills necessary for future employment. Toronto is the largest city in Canada and a cultural melting pot with people of many nationalities residing there. Students thus are able to enjoy a cosmopolitan atmosphere and a wide range of cultural activities in addition to their studies.
One can get to George Brown easily by public transport from any part of the city. The closest stations/ stops to George Brown College are: Kendal Ave At Davenport Rd South Side, 9 meters and 1 min walk away; Davenport Rd At Walmer Rd, 126 meters away, 2 min walk; Davenport Rd At Dartnell Ave East Side,160 meters away, 3 min walk; Macpherson Ave At Spadina Rd, 232 meters away, 4 min walk; Spadina Rd At Davenport Rd, 294 meters away, 4 min walk.
You can get to George Brown College - Casa Loma Campus by Bus, Subway or Streetcar. These are the lines and routes that have stops nearby - Bus: 127, 6, 7 Subway: 1
Getting to the Casa Loma Campus
- From Dupont Subway Station - Exit at Dupont subway station, walk north on Spadina Rd. to Macpherson Ave., walk one block west to Kendal Ave.
Getting to St. James Campus (Main Building)
- From King Subway Station - Exit at King subway station, walk or take the King streetcar or Cherry streetcar east to Jarvis St., walk one block east on King St. E.
- From Sherbourne Subway Station - Exit at Sherbourne subway station, take the Sherborne bus south to King St., walk one block west on King St. E.
Getting to Waterfront Campus
- From Union Subway Station - Exit at Union subway station, take the Bay bus south and then east to Dockside Dr.
- From Sherbourne Subway Station - Exit at Sherbourne subway station, take the Sherbourne bus south to Queen's Quay, get off at Richardson St., cross the street to Dockside Dr.
There are three types of financial support available for the students -
- The OSAP (the Ontario Student Assistance Program) provides assistance through loans (money you pay back) and grants (money you don't have to pay back). If you show unmet need on your OSAP application, you may be considered by the ministry for the Student Access Guarantee, a source of non-repayable bursary funding.
- Awards, Scholarships, and Bursaries
- George Brown College's Awards program recognizes students in need along with those who demonstrate excellence. Scholarships, awards and bursaries assist students with the costs of their education. Emergency funding is also available should a student be experiencing serious financial difficulty due to a sudden and unexpected situation.
- Work-Study Program
- The George Brown College Work-Study Program provides opportunities for students to work on campus for up to 15 hours per week.
The Library Learning Commons (LLC) at the college campuses has got to offer a myriad of resources and services that give a boost to academic success. The LLC during operational hours offer assignment help, research and reference assistance, learning and study spaces, accessible services, open access computers, technical support, etc.
The Green Building Centre, built in 2012, is the first facility of its kind. Integrated into the existing structure of the Casa Loma campus, the GBC Green Building Centre helps SMEs innovate and get new products to market faster. Some of the research labs located there are: Building Information Modeling (BIM) Lab; The Smart Connected Buildings Lab; Building Sciences and Building Envelope Labs; The ARGILE Project; Mass Timber Institute.
Jobs and Placements
George Brown has a Career Services and Field Education website, the main online resource for connecting employers to the students and alumni of George Brown College.
GBC Career Services assists students and graduates with job search and career support and also connects employers with outstanding student and alumni candidates by providing online and on-campus recruitment services
Types of Programmes available
Apart from the traditional undergraduate and postgraduate courses, the college provides diploma/certificate and graduate certificate programs.
- Diploma/Certificate Programs
- Diploma/Certificate Programs are of 1, 2, or 3 academic years in duration.
- Graduate Certificates
- Graduate Certificates are postgraduate programs offered for students who have already graduated from a university or college. These are highly specialized 8- or 12-month programs designed to give graduates advanced skills in a specific professional field.
Centre for Construction and Engineering Technologies (CCET)
It offers training that gives students the technical expertise and the people skills critical to these industries.
There are four Schools in the Centre for Construction and Engineering Technologies;
Angelo DelZotto School of Construction Management.
Eight programs are offered by this school. The flagship program - a four-year degree program in Construction Management is the one and only in Ontario. Apart from this, there are certificate and diploma courses available too. This school is located at the Casa Loma campus, and its highly skilled faculty imparts high quality education with inputs from industry partners. The courses cover the following areas:
- Building Information Modeling Management
- Civil Engineering Technology
- Construction Engineering Technician
- Construction Management
- Residential Construction Management
School of Apprenticeship & Skilled Trades
This school provides training in apprenticeship and skilled trades. They mentor you in choosing what kind of trade fits your aspirations. In fact, you could choose to not take up an apprenticeship training. You could instead take up a trade-related program in which you will graduate with an Ontarion College credential. On the other hand, if you think you are inclined towards an apprenticeship program, this school has many programs to offer.
The certificate and diploma programs are offered in the following areas:
- Building Renovation Technician
- Building Renovation Technology
- Carpentry and Renovation Technician
- Construction Trades Techniques
- Construction Techniques
- Welding Techniques
- Electrical Techniques
- Heating, Refrigeration, and Air Conditioning Technician
- Heating, Refrigeration, and Air Conditioning Technology
- Plumbing Techniques
School of Architectural Studies
Do you think your creative skills belong to the world of architecture? Then this is the place for you. Their programs will further add to your creativity by teaching you the theory and technicals to design the perfect built environment.
You’ll study at a campus in the heart of Toronto – a major hub of architectural activity. You’ll have the opportunity to engage in experiential learning, become familiar with green building practices and participate in challenging design projects.
Toronto is renowned for its architectural activity, and now, especially for the buildings centered around “green practices”. And their campus is at the heart of Toronto. The faculty in this school have strong connections with the industry and hence with the latest State of the art technology. You will be learning the latest skills in the Building Information Modelling studio which has three floor to ceiling screens enabling you to view multimedia from different sources.
The certificate and diploma courses are offered in the following areas:
- Architectural Technician
- Architectural Technology
- Interior Design Technology
School of Mechanical Engineering Technologies
Mechanical engineering encompasses aerospace, automotive, telecommunication, health, and even environment. Their programs follow the approach that you need to not only observe but also experience. Their faculty are not mere academicians but are actively involved in their respective fields, which ensures that you get the best of both academia and industry. Following are the areas in which the graduate and diploma courses are offered:
- Electromechanical Engineering Technician
- Electromechanical Engineering Technology – Building Automation
- Mechanical Engineering Technology – Design
- Mechanical Technician – CNC and Precision Machining
- Mechanical Techniques (Fast-Track)
- Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC) Technician
Centre for Business
The Centre for Business offers 34 diploma, degree, and postgraduate programs at four schools as well as a pre-Business program for students looking to strengthen their academics and general knowledge of business fields.
There are four schools under the Centre for Business.
School of Accounting & Finance
Their programs are designed such that you are able to face the world of business and finance with actual field experience behind you. Their experiential approach blends both the business and finance aspects to teach students the skills necessary to shine in this challenging sector.
The school offers Diplomas, advanced diplomas and graduate certificates in the following areas:
- Business – Accounting
- Business – Finance
- Business Administration – Accounting (without Work Experience) / (with Work Experience)
- Business Administration – Finance (without Work Experience) / (with Work Experience)
- Financial Planning
School of Human Resources
The world of business is evolving all the time and so it is too in Canada. Companies here like to hire people who can change with the times along with them. Any organization’s success depends on the people it hires, the training given and the best environment to retain them. George Brown teaches students all of this in in its human resources program. As with all its programs, George Brown College has a mix of both theory and a lot of practical learning, which ensures that students are career ready as they graduate. Their Human Resources Diploma and Advanced Diploma programs are recognized by Canadian HR Reporter with a reader's choice award. The programs cover the following areas:
- Business – Human Resources
- Business Administration – Human Resources (without Work Experience)/ (with Work Experience)
- Human Resources Management
School of Management
The School of Management offers courses which are relevant enough for students to get opportunities both domestically and internationally. Their faculty are comprised of professionals skilled in both the academic and practical worlds. One would find George Brown’s students in a myriad of industries which include logistics, retail, manufacturing , government and consulting, to name just a few.
The diploma and certificate courses are offered in the following areas:
- Business Administration (without Work Experience) / (with Work Experience)
- Business Administration – International Business (without Work Experience) / (with Work Experience)
- Business Administration – Project Management (without Work Experience) / (with Work Experience)
- Business Administration – Supply Chain and Operations Management (without Work Experience) / (with Work Experience)
- Business Administration – Retail (without Work Experience) / (with Work Experience)
- Analytics for Business Decision Making
- International Business Management
- Entrepreneurship Management
- Project Management
School of Marketing
The School of Marketing offers degree, diploma, and certificate programs. The classes are held in and around downtown Toronto - the place where the business action is. This gives the department access to a pool of talented and senior professionals in the advertising, marketing and communication domains.
The diploma and certificate courses are offered in the following areas:
- Business – Marketing
- Business Administration – Marketing (without Work Experience) / (with Work Experience)
- Digital Media Marketing
- Marketing Management – Financial Services
- Sport and Event Marketing
- Strategic Relationship Marketing
Some of the subjects you will learn in the diploma and certificate courses include:
- Digital and social media marketing
- International marketing
- Integrated marketing communications
- Marketing research
- Sales and sales promotion
- Strategic marketing management
You will be well-armed to address the demands of the potential employees who will look for marketing acumen and analytics expertise. The courses you will take in research, social media and database and will help you to enhance marketing skills. .
Centre for Arts, Design & Information Technology
The Centre for Arts, Design and Information Technology offers 40 certificate, diploma and postgraduate programs in Toronto. It has four specialized schools.
School of Design
Are you the restless creative genius just waiting for your skills to be best utilized? Then the School of Design is just the place you should be at. As with all their courses, this school mixes academics with on-field learning, giving a boost to your creative abilities tempering them with solid experience with their skilled faculty.
Some of the big names in design deliver guest lectures at their facility, which hones your skills even further. Students from this school have gone on to win prestigious national and internationa;l awards. Further, if you want to learn design in an international setting, you will have an opportunity to study in their partner schools in Denmark and Italy.
The diploma and certificate courses are offered in the following areas:
- Art and Design Foundation
- Concept Art for Entertainment
- Design Management
- Digital Design – Game Design
- Game – Art
- Graphic Design
- Interaction Design
- Interactive Media Management
- Interdisciplinary Design Strategy
School of Fashion & Jewellery
Is fashion your forte? Do you enjoy designing clothes or even jewellery? Then their School of Fashion and Jewellery is the place to be. In fact, the CEO World Magazine ranks it among the top 100 in the world.
This school is located in downtown Toronto - capital of Canada, and you will have the opportunity to shake hands and learn from the best in the trade. You will have immediate access to some of the best known designers who will give you a head-start to a career or even guide you in starting your very own business. The diploma and certificate courses offered by the school are in the following areas:
- Fashion Business Industry
- Fashion Management
- Fashion Techniques and Design
- Apparel Technical Design
- International Fashion Management
- Sustainable Fashion Production
- Industrial Power Sewing
- Apparel Fit Technician: Fashion Fit
- Gemmology (F105)
- Jewellery Arts (F114)
- Jewellery Essentials (F111)
- Jewellery Methods (F110)
George Brown College’s Fashion Exchange (FX) is a vibrant hub where fashion education, design, production, entrepreneurship and engagement come together under one roof in the heart of downtown Toronto.
School of Performing Arts
Story-telling is considered to one of the hottest new careers all over the world. If you are inclined to be a teller of stories whether digitally or through word or dance or drama, head on over to the School of Performing Arts and explore what it can offer you. The diploma and certificate courses are offered by the school in the following areas:
- Media Foundation
- Acting for Media
- Video Design & Production
- Screenwriting & Narrative Design
- Sound Design & Production
- Visual Effects
School of Computer Technology
If there is an industry which will keep growing over this century and beyond it is computer technology. And there is never a time when professionals from this industry will lack jobs. And the School of Computer technology will help you hone your computing skills with the help of state-of-the art technology and a faculty recruited from the best in the Canadian industry. Their faculty are not mere academicians but are actively involved in their respective fields, which ensures that you get the best of both academia and industry. In fact, George Brown is the first college in Canada to offer a full-time blockchain certificate program.
The School offers Diplomas or Graduate Certificates in the following areas.
- Computer Programmer Analyst
- Computer Systems Technician
- Computer Systems Technology
- Game – Programming
- Blockchain Development
- Health Informatics
- Information Systems Business Analysis
- Wireless Networking
- Network and System Security Analysis
- Mobile Application Development and Strategy
- Cyber Security
Centre for Health Sciences
This centre offers certificate, diploma, degree and postgraduate programs, as well as a Pre-Health Sciences program for those looking to strengthen their academics and general knowledge.
School of Dental Health
The Daphne Cockwell Centre for Health Sciences at the Waterfront Campus has the enviable reputation of being the most diverse and modern in Canada. Students also learn by working with and treating real patients in the WAVE Dental Clinics operated by the school. The diploma and certificate courses are offered by the school in the following areas:
- Dental assistant
- Dental hygiene
- Restorative dental hygienist
- Dental technician
School of Health Services Management
The diploma and certificate courses are on offer by the school in the following areas:
- Dental Office Administration
- Health Informatics
- Health Information Management
- Office Administration – Health Services
School of Health & Wellness
The school offers diploma and certificate programs in the following areas:
- Autism and Behavioural Science
- Behavioural Science Technician
- Clinical Methods in Orthotics/Prosthetics
- Fitness and Health Promotion
- Hearing Instrument Specialist
- Orthotic/Prosthetic Technician
- Recreation Management in Gerontology
Sally Horsfall Eaton School of Nursing
The Sally Horsfall Eaton School of Nursing offers certificate, diploma and degree programs that can lead you to take up careers in teaching, research, health care administration, and even sales.
The Daphne Cockwell Centre for Health Sciences at the Waterfront Campus has the enviable reputation of being the most diverse and modern in Canada. Students of Nursing also learn by working in the simulation Centre where they will practice with high-tech mannequins.
This school also offers you placement after you graduate.
This centre offers 19 certificate, diploma, degree and postgraduate programs. The diploma and certificate courses are offered by the school in the following areas:
- Interprofessional Complex and Long-Term Care
- Personal Support Worker Pathway to Practical Nursing
- Personal Support Worker
- Practical Nursing
- R.P.N. Bridge to B.Sc.N. (Postgraduate)- R.P.N. Bridge to B.Sc.N. is a two-semester bridging program that provides Registered Practical Nurses (who have graduated from a two-year diploma program in Ontario) with the knowledge and skills necessary to enter Trent University's Nursing degree program offered onsite at George Brown College.
- Registered Nurse – Critical Care
- Registered Nurse – Operating Room Perioperative Nursing
- Registered Nurse – Perinatal Intensive Care Nursing
- Centre for Hospitality & Culinary Art
Is your ambition to open a Michelin restaurant? Then you need to study under the best chefs in the world. This school has international chefs like Mark McEwan, Jamie Kennedy, Bonnie Stern, Roger Mooking who studied here and rose to become stars. The diploma and certificate courses are offered in the following areas:
- Advanced French Patisserie Program
- Baker / Patissier Apprentice Program
- Baking – Pre-Employment
- Baking and Pastry Arts Management
- Cook Apprentice Program
- Culinary Arts - Italian Program
- Culinary Management Program
- Culinary Management – Nutrition Program
- Culinary Skills Program
- Food and Nutrition Management Program
School of Hospitality and Tourism Management
Academics is simply not enough to get yourself a high paying job. You will need real world experience too. Recognizing this fact George Brown College gives you the best of both worlds - academic content along with placements in the industry to prepare you for the world ahead. The diploma and certificate courses are offered in the following programs:
- Advanced Wine and Beverage Business Management
- Food and Beverage Management – Restaurant Management
- Hospitality – Hotel Operations Management
- Tourism and Hospitality Management
- Special Event Management - Ontario College Diploma
School of Deaf and Deafblind Studies
Is helping the less-abled your life-passion? Is learning the internationally recognized American Sign Language an interest? Then this is the place where you can combine both your passion and skill training. Further, you could continue studying in their more advanced programs. The diploma and certificate courses are offered in the following areas:
- American Sign Language and Deaf Studies
- Intervenor for Deafblind Persons
School of Early Childhood
The study of early childhood involves studying how young children learn and develop. This school has 12 college - managed child care lab schools where you gain practical experience in the area. Want to learn more? Take a tour of of one of their child care labs, pre-school/ kindergarten playground and Infant / toddler playground online and decide on whether you want to enroll in a full-time or part-time program. The diploma and certificate programs are offered in the following areas:
- Early Childhood Assistant
- Early Childhood Education
School of Social & Community Services
Social workers work with groups, individuals and families in helping them to sort out and alleviate problems relating to poverty, homelessness, addiction and immigration. Important skills needed for this job are leadership, team-work and communication. If you think you have these skills and if community development is a matter of supreme importance to you, then this is the right choice. Students from this school have interned with: Child Development Institute, Sick Kids Hospital, YWCA Toronto, the City of Toronto, and the Toronto District School Board.
The school also offers international field development opportunities in Jamaica and India.
The diploma and certificate courses are offered in the following areas:
- Assaulted Women's and Children's Counsellor/Advocate Program
- Career Development Practitioner
- Child and Youth Care
- Community Worker
- Pre-Community Services
- Social Service Worker
Centre for Preparatory & Liberal Studies
This Centre offers English as a Second Language (ESL) programs, as well as preparatory programs to help students transition to further post-secondary education at George Brown or other institutions. The General Arts and Science two-Year diploma program now offers a pathway for eligible students to transfer credits to the University of Toronto.
School of English as a Second Language
English is an important part of life in Canada, whether it is to communicate in everyday life situations or furthering your academic studies. George Brown College opens its infrastructure to you - whether it be labs, free wi-fi , student lounges or student Services. The school offers a range of options to suit your specific needs. The English for Academic purposes program can be taken in the morning or afternoon, while the part-time programs can be done in the evening or even during the weekends. George Brown through the College Teacher Training program offers specialized training to internationally educated teachers.
Immigrant & Transitional Education
New immigrants very often have a lot of challenges adjusting to the new and different atmosphere in Canada in comparison to what they have been used to in their respective countries. This school aims to bring down the barriers and help new immigrants adjust to their new life. Programming for immigrant students includes workplace communications courses and professional bridging programs that facilitate entry into the Canadian workforce. Transitional education programming is designed for students who identify mental health and/or addictions challenges as a barrier to employment or further education.
Programs and services in the School of Immigrant and Transitional Education include:
- Entry Advising Services
- Transitions to Post-Secondary Education (TPE)
- Immigrant Bridging Programs,
- Language training for immigrants through English for Academic Purposes (EAP),
- Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition (PLAR)
- Mentoring Partnership
School of Liberal Arts & Sciences
The School of Liberal Arts and Sciences offers programs and courses that aid in developing and honing critical-thinking, problem-solving and written and oral communication skills to help students further their careers.
Their General Arts and Science one-year certificate or two-year diploma programs are designed for students who want to explore the fields of Arts and Humanities, Social Sciences, Natural Sciences and Technology.
General Education and Liberal Studies electives help students to enhance their critical thinking and analytic reasoning skills while deepen their knowledge and understanding of the humanities, sciences and social sciences. These courses are a vital component of GBC certificate, diploma and degree programs.
The George Brown School of Liberal Arts and Sciences also offers:
- Counselling, student events, and cultural activities for Aboriginal students through the Aboriginal counsellor, Elder, and Aboriginal (Sahkitcheway) Student Centre.
- The School of Labour which offers, four Labour Studies general education electives as well as an annual labour fair.
School of Work & College Preparation
This school is the stepping stone to the next stage - be it academics or a career. You will find an empathetic ear in this school which will offer you support in all your new endeavours.
Their innovative college and work preparation programs include:
- Pre-programs in business, community services, health science and hospitality services
- College Vocational
- Transitions to Post-Secondary Education
- Academic Upgrading
- Literacy and basic skills for Deaf and hard-of-hearing adults
Certificate Courses available in:
- Academic Upgrading
- Academic Upgrading Program for Deaf and Hard of Hearing Adults
- Construction Craft Worker Foundations
- Culinary Skills
- Hospitality Services
- Pre-Community Services
- Pre-Health Sciences Pathway to Certificates and Diplomas
|Annual fees for Indians||$34,320|
|Annual off-campus living||$12,000|
We're Here To Help With Finances:
Whatsapp GroupsSearch for whatsapp groups linked to your school
...aid at the start of the diploma program and can only be used for tuition fees. Know more. 10. Scotiabank International Partner Entrance Scholarship - George Brown College Amount - CAD 5,000 Validity - Provided each academic year Features - The scholarship is granted to students enrolled in full-time PG diploma at Georg... ... Read more
...ment is based on the college you opt for. The following colleges are most preferred for the same. Publicly funded colleges - Humber College - Toronto George Brown College - Toronto Centennial College - Toronto Schulich School of Business - Toronto University of Winnipeg - Winnipeg Seneca College - Toronto Concordia Uni... ... Read more
...er Bay and Greenstone, Ontario Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia Eton College, Vancouver, British Columbia Fanshawe College, London, Ontario George Brown College, (Casa Loma, Waterfront, St. James Campuses) Toronto, Ontario Georgian College, Barrie, Ontario ISI, L’institut Supérieur d’Informatique, Montreal, Q... ... Read more
...entennial College - For international students - Tuition fees for 2 semesters - CA$ 14,502 Ancillary fees - CA$ 1,667 The total would be - CA$ 16,169 George Brown College - this college offers the course in three programs - Diploma in Business Marketing Advanced Diploma in Business Administration - Marketing Graduate C... ... Read more