Monash University Overview
Monash University - Overview & Background
Based in Melbourne, Australia, Monash University is a public research university founded in 1958. It is the second oldest university in the state of Victoria.
Out of its multiple campuses, four are in Victoria:
I am still learning
Public Research University
Student to Faculty Ratio
A$2.63 billion (2018)
Official Website Link
|Monash University, Australia|
+61 3 9905 4000
Monash is a member of Australia's ‘Group of Eight’ which is an association of Australia’s pioneering research universities. Marylin Lousie Warren, Bill Shorten, Alan Finkel, Ian Meredith, David Williamson are some of the many notable alumni of the university.
- It has another campus in Malaysia as well.
- It has a research and training centre in Prato (Italy)
- A graduate research school in Mumbai (India)
- A graduate school Suzhou (China)
The Clayton campus is the largest of all campuses.
The various faculties of Monash University are :
- Faculty of Art Design & Architecture (MADA)
- Faculty of Arts
- Faculty of Business and Economics
- Faculty of Education
- Faculty of Engineering
- Faculty of Information Technology
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences
- Faculty of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Faculty of Science
The university boasts of excellent rankings under various fields like -
- 75th globally in the Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2020.
- 73rd globally and third in Australia in ShanghaiRanking's Academic Ranking of World Universities 2019.
- 21st in the World's Most International Universities in 2017 as released by the Times Higher Education.
- 58th globally according to the Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) World University Rankings 2020.
- Ranked sixth in the world in the Times Higher Education Golden Age university ranking 2019
Monash University Virtual Tour
Students enrolled in the Clayton and Peninsula campuses have the option of living both on- and off-campus. Students enrolled in the Caulfield and Parkville campuses have the option of living off-campus.
Accommodation in Clayton
- There is on-campus accommodation with quick and easy access to classes, library and other facilities offered by the institution. The students get to fully experience university life living here. Students studying in the other campuses of Monash University are also welcomed in this residence.
- They offer apartment type (a single apartment with a separate room for all with a common kitchen, bathroom and lounge) and studio type residence (self-contained studio apartments with their own bathroom and kitchenette).
- For Off campus residence, the following suburbs are closest to the Monash Clayton Campus:
- Clayton South
- Glen Waverley
- Mount Waverley
- Notting Hill
- Oakleigh East
- Oakleigh South
- Wheeler's Hill
Accommodation in Peninsula
- The campus is a 30-minute drive from Clayton and houses the three faculties of the University. It is within walking distance to the campus centre and sports complex. It is a short commute away from nearby beaches.
- They also offer accommodation types similar to Clayton campus - Apartment type and Studio Apartment type
- For off-campus residence, the following suburbs are closest to the Monash Peninsula campus
- Carrum Downs
- Frankston North
- Frankston South
- Langwarrin South
Accommodation in Caulfield Campus
- The following suburbs are closest to the Monash Caulfield Campus:
- Caulfield North
- Caulfield South
- Glen Huntly
- Glen Iris
- Malvern East
Accommodation in Parkville Campus
- The suburbs listed here are closest to the Monash Parkville and City Campus:
- Brunswick East
- Carlton North
- East Melbourne
- North Melbourne
- West Melbourne
Following are the scholarships offered by the university:
- Monash Device Grant
- Monash Support Scholarship
- Monash UniStart Support Scholarship
- Walter and Eliza Hall Trust Opportunity Scholarship
- Monash University Jubilee Honours Scholarship
- Team Monash Elite Student Performer Scheme.
Jobs and Placements
Monash university runs programs to help students of all courses in finding jobs and guides them throughout the process of career development right from the stage of resume building. Such programs are free of charge.
It was ranked 60th worldwide in Graduate Employability by the Times Higher Education in 2018 and 56th in the world from which to hire graduates (Global Employability University Rankings, 2015). It conducts various seminars such as Global Careers Panel. The university has increased its rankings across all five categories, which consider alumni outcomes, employer reputation, graduate employment rate, partnerships with employers and employer-student connections.
Last year, the university launched a digital platform, Monash Talent, to help employers find the appropriate graduate to hire. The job-matching platform makes use of a data-driven approach to make a portrait of the ideal candidate’s characteristics that helps employers find the most compatible candidates.
The students can register with the platform for upto 3 years after graduation.
Some famous alumni from Monash University include :
- Kevin Andrews, Former Australian Defence Minister
- Jim Bacon, Former Premier of Tasmania (did not graduate)
- Louise Asher, Former Deputy Leader of the Victorian Liberal Party
- Alan Griffiths, Former Australian Minister for Industry and Resources
- Anna Burke, Politician, former Deputy Speaker of the Australian House of Representatives
- Gary Johns, Former Special Minister of State, academic
- Peter Cleeland, Former Member of the Australian House of Representatives
- Michael Wooldridge, Former Australian Minister for Health and Chairman of UNAIDS
Monash University Location
The university is located in Wellington Road, Melbourne, Australia. The campus is in the urban part of the city and has ample number of banks, shops, restaurants, cafes, etc. There is an inter-campus shuttle service connecting various campuses to the Frankston railway station.
Major airports near the university are- Essendon airport (43 km) and Melbourne airport (48 km). Various city buses also ply to the university. It has medical clinics at Clayton, Caulfield and Peninsula open from 9 pm to 5 pm on weekdays. Monash medical centre is the nearest hospital to the university. There are various on and off-campus recreation activities offered by the university in the city.
Monash University Map Location
Address: Wellington Rd, Clayton VIC 3800, Australia
Frequently Asked Questions about Monash University
Is Monash University a good University?
In just 50 years, Monash has built a remarkable reputation for teaching and research excellence and has continuously been ranked among the top 100 institutions in the world. The Group of Eight, an association of prestigious Australian institutions known for their brilliance in teaching and research, includes Monash.
Is Monash hard to get into?
A total of 27,000 or more international students were enrolled at the university. A 40% acceptance rate (which means 40 out of 100 students are admitted) for undergraduate and graduate students indicates that Monash University is somewhat selective.
What is Monash University famous for?
Monash Education is known for its top-notch teaching and researches both domestically and abroad. It puts a strong emphasis on learning and growth, preparing students for a variety of jobs as administrators, managers, teachers, and educators. Monash graduates are renowned for their skill, curiosity, expertise, invention, aptitude, and adaptability.
Is Monash University good for international students?
The Best Global Universities list has Monash University at position 40. Australia's largest university, Monash University, is a well-liked destination for overseas students seeking to study there. Monash is a cutting-edge, globally renowned university with an international feel.