Rice University Courses
The Department of Bioengineering (George R. Brown School of Engineering) is known for its state-of-the-art programs in bioengineering. The faculty of the department has been hailed as a trend-setter in designing courses that combine the best of both the theoretical aspects of the biological sciences and their practical applications. Strong industry partnerships allow students to enter into challenging research and high-paying jobs. The department focuses on coming up with new ideas for improving human health through the use of biotechnology. More than a dozen in-campus research labs and centers in the department are pushing the frontiers of Biotechnology research. The graduate programs offered by the department are Professional non-thesis MBE (Master of Bioengineering); Ph.D. in Bioengineering; Joint MD/Ph.D. in Medical Scientist Training. The specialization tracks in the MBE programme are Applied Bioengineering track or the Global Medical Innovation (GMI).
- Areas of Expertise: Computational materials science and materials theory;Optical materials, photonics and nanoplasmonics;Low-dimensional materials;Computational and theoretical bioengineering;Nanotechnology;Electronic materials;Biomaterials / carbon nanomaterials;Biomedical imaging and diagnostics;Composites;Systems and synthetic biology;Electron microscopy and in situ methods;Mechanical properties and nanomechanics;Energy conversion and storage;Tissue engineering and biomechanics;Cellular and biomolecular engineering;Biomaterials and drug delivery
The Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering is notable for its strong emphasis on resolving the most challenging problems faced by society. It aims to nurture new ideas and the enthusiasm to find efficient practical solutions amongst the students with a faculty that enjoys research as much as creating researchers out of its students. The department seeks to expand the frontiers of applied chemical sciences by encouraging work on areas such as hydrocarbon and electron resources, clean water, advanced chemical materials, and human health. The programs offered by the department are Bachelor of Chemical Engineering (BSChE); Professional Master of Chemical Engineering (MSChE); BA, MS, and Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering. The specialization tracks (MSChE) are Fundamentals of Chemical Engineering; Energy; Nanotechnology.
- Areas of Expertise: Surface engineering: micro- and nanofluidics, self-assembled monolayers, biosensors;Gas hydrates, enhanced oil recovery, surfactants, reservoir characterization, asphaltenes, flow assurance;Interfacial phenomena, thermodynamics, statistical mechanics, molecular simulations;Complex fluids: rheology of microstructured liquids (nanotubes, emulsions, polymers, colloids);Nutritional systems biology, embryonic stem cells, metabolic and transcriptional networks;Biosystems: metabolic engineering, cell population dynamics, protein and tissues engineering;Advanced materials: catalysis, nanostructured materials, quantum dots, nanocomposites
Civil and Environmental
The Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering believes in innovation and discovery that is fueled not just by the ambition to break new grounds in the disciplines of civil engineering but also by the will to contribute to the society. A vast array of courses and an experienced faculty impart depth to the programs. The success of the department is reflected in the various on-going research projects and industry partnerships that allow it to enhance the learning experience of students.
The Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering has also garnered praise for its emphasis on inculcating a genuine concern for the environment in its students. The faculty believes that students with new ideas and scientific talent cannot perform to their full potential unless they are sensitive to their environment and its problems and share a genuine concern with the larger community of environmentalists for a sustainable future. The department’s approach is defined by a will to reduce carbon-footprint, judicious use of resources and finding the perfect balance between societal needs and the environment.
The department has led the creation of several interdisciplinary research centers both on and off-campus. The programmes offered by the department are Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering; Professional Master of Civil and Environmental Engineering (MCEE) in Civil Engineering; MS/Ph.D. in Civil Engineering; BS (minor) in Water Sustainability; Professional Master of Civil and Environmental Engineering (MCEE) in Environmental Engineering.
Specialization Tracks (MS/Ph.D.): Hydrology; Air Quality, Structures; Bridge Engineering, etc.
- Areas of Expertise: Reliability of civil infrastructure and complex urban systems; Water quality and integrated water management; Urban hydrology and flood prediction; Environmental nanotechnology (applications and implications); Computational & stochastic mechanics; Air quality and environmental policy; Nanomechanics and materials modeling; Dynamics of smart structures (including system identification, structural health monitoring, advanced sensing and signal processing, and data mining); Computational solid mechanics, nonlinear dynamics and chaos, complex dynamical systems; Multi-scale modeling and design of advanced materials and material systems
The Department of Computer Science at Rice University is the place where students’ talents and ideas are channelized into a futuristic vision. The department believes that the frontiers of CS can be extended only when serious research is undertaken in foundational CS and combined with training in emerging fields. This is the approach that goes into the deciding of the content of the courses and design of programs at the department. The department’s vision and endeavors are augmented by its strong linkages and partnerships at the national level and with the private sector. The programs available in the department are BA and BS in Computer Science; Professional Master of Computer Science (MCS); MS/Ph.D. in Computer Science.
- Areas of Expertise: Programming languages and software engineering; Computer engineering and systems; Algorithms and artificial intelligence
The Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering brings together the latest developments in the emerging fields of electrical sciences, a strong emphasis on fundamentals and innovation in teaching and research. A faculty that boasts of a prolific research output allows the students to express their talents freely to give rise to multi-dimensional developments in electrical sciences. The department believes that the true potential of electrical engineering can be realized only when it is used for finding solutions to problems in other disciplines of applied sciences.The programmes offered by the department are Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering (B.S.E.E.) and Bachelor of Arts with a major in Electrical Engineering (B.A.), MS/PhD in Electrical and Computer Engineering; Professional Master of Electrical Engineering (MEE); Master of Business Administration and Electrical Engineering (MBA/M.E.E.)
- Areas of Expertise: Neuroengineering; Computer systems engineering and networking; Wireless networking; Computer-aided design for micro and nanosystems;Nanophotonics, plasmonics, and nanotechnology applications; Bioengineering; Communications and signal and image processing; Quantum electronics and laser spectroscopy
Research Facilities: Department’s Corporate Affiliates Program is aimed at maximizing the industry potential of its researchers and forging strong linkages with the private sector.
The Jones Graduate School of Business has some of the finest brains in financial management constituting its faculty team. It is a place that nurtures insight into the problems and solutions through practical approaches keeping the future in mind. The school believes in training the students by allowing them to work on real-time scenarios and extensive case studies. Healthy industry linkages ensure that the Rice students of finance get the deserving kick-start to their careers.
- Programs Available: MBA (full-time) in Finance; Ph.D. in Business (Finance)
The Department of Mechanical Engineering is one of the oldest departments of the university. It is known to justify the essence of the institution by producing thinkers and future leaders in a mechanical engineering discipline. With a handpicked faculty that is engaged in the most fundamental or emerging sub-disciplines, the department has committed itself to harbouring talent, nurturing skills and developing ideas into technologies that can find the widest utility in society. The programs offered by the department include Bachelor of Arts (BA) Degree with a Major in Mechanical Engineering, Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering (BSME) degree, Master of Mechanical Engineering (MME) Degree, Master of Science (MS) Degree in the field of Mechanical Engineering, Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) Degree in the field of Mechanical Engineering, Master of Mechanical Engineering (MME) Degree / Master of Business Administration (MBA) Degree
- Areas of Expertise: Fluid mechanics/computational fluid dynamics/heat transfer; Biomedical systems; Aero-astronautics; Mechanical Design; Dynamics/vibrations/control systems/robotics; Solid mechanics/computational mechanics/contact mechanics
Materials Science and Nanoengineering
The Department of Materials Science and Nanoengineering of Rice University is known in the scientific community for contributing to a great variety of disciplines and technologies. The department fosters pride in its students through the realization that their contributions can fundamentally alter technologies and technological development. Besides, the department also focuses on tailoring courses and directing research efforts towards the application of materials science and nanoscience in the areas of most pressing needs like health and pharmaceuticals, environment and smart-technology. The department boasts of state-of-the-art research laboratories like Additive Lab, Lou Lab, Emerging Quantum and Ultrafast Materials Lab.
- Programs Available: Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science in Materials Science and Nanoengineering, MS/Ph.D. in Materials Science and Nanoengineering (A stand-alone MS thesis degree program is not offered; Professional Master in Materials Science and Nanoengineering (M.M.S.N.E.)
- Areas of Expertise: Computational materials science and materials theory; Optical materials, photonics and nanoplasmonics; Low-dimensional materials; Computational and theoretical bioengineering; Nanotechnology; Electronic materials; Biomaterials / carbon nanomaterials; Biomedical imaging and diagnostics; Composites; Systems and synthetic biology; Electron microscopy and in situ methods; Mechanical properties and nanomechanics; Energy conversion and storage; Tissue engineering and biomechanics; Cellular and biomolecular engineering; Biomaterials and drug delivery
The Wiess School of Natural Sciences places discovery at the heart of its working. Intense curiosity drives each department under the school and there has always been an inclination towards knowing about the unknown. The school harbours the following departments: Biosciences; Chemistry; Earth, Environmental and Planetary Sciences; Kinesiology; Mathematics; and Physics and Astronomy and is home to many interdisciplinary programmes and research centers. The Department of BioSciences provides Biochemistry & Cell Biology Graduate Program and Ecology & Evolutionary Biology Graduate Program. The Department of Chemistry provides MA and PhD programmes in Chemistry. The Department of Mathematics offers MA and PhD in Mathematics. The Department of Physics and Astronomy offers MS and PhD programmes. The Department of Earth, Environmental and Planetary Sciences provides graduate thesis MS and PhD programmes along with a Professional Masters Course. The Department of Kinesiology provides BA in Kinesiology.