Sheffield Hallam University Overview
- Sheffield Hallam University - Overview & Background
- Sheffield Hallam University Virtual Tour
- Campus & Accommodation
- Faculty and Pedagogy
- Scholarships & Financial Aid
- Sheffield Hallam University Location
- Jobs & Placements
- Entry Criteria & Exam Requirements
- Comparison to other Universities
Sheffield Hallam University - Overview & Background
1843 – founded
Public Research University
Learn and Serve
|South Yorkshire, England|
|Faculty to Student Ratio||
£0.52 million (2015)
Official Website Link
Sheffield Hallam University Virtual Tour
Campus & Accommodation
Sheffield Hallam University is located in Sheffield, South Yorkshire, England. One of England's largest and most diverse universities is this one.
There are numerous research institutions and four faculties:
- Sheffield Business School.
- Faculty of Social Sciences and Humanities.
- Faculty of Health and Well-being.
- Faculty of Science, Technology, and Arts (STA) (SBS).
They include 30 research facilities, including the Biomedical Research Centre and the Art and Design Research Centre, among others. The Lifelong Learning Network (LLN) covering Southern Yorkshire, North Nottinghamshire, and North Derbyshire is called Higher Futures, with SHU as its primary partner.
- At the school's designated student housing facilities, first-year students have assured housing.
- University Halls and Private Sector Housing are the two housing options offered to Sheffield Hallam University students.
- Over 30 university residence halls are situated within 30 minutes walk from the campus. The average weekly rent for a home is between 85 and 143 pounds (3,740 and 6,292 pounds) and includes utilities, content insurance, and Wi-Fi.
- The university residence halls' room designs take into mind each student's needs and preferences, from social to medical.
- Additionally, the university residence halls offer apartments with features and amenities ideal for postgraduate, care-leaving, and senior students.
- There is a bed, a desk, a chair, a closet, a washbasin, etc. in every bedroom. The common room, Wi-Fi, laundry, kitchen, and study areas are examples of common amenities found in the halls.
- To find a decent, safe, and inexpensive place to live, students who want to reside in private sector housing are urged to use the university's Snug program services.
- Sheffield Hallam University is located on two campuses: the Collegiate Campus on Ecclesall Road, which is near to the city's heart, and the City Campus, which is close to Sheffield's train and bus stations.
- It is simpler to find your way to the University using any mode of transportation because the campus is close to the main transportation hubs. Students and members of the academic community can travel freely between campuses on buses. The bus shuttles will get you between the campuses in only 10 minutes.
- Students have access to approximately 4,000 computers in learning centers, research facilities, seminar rooms, teaching rooms, dining outlets, and other places throughout the campus thanks to an annual investment of 4 million GBP in IT infrastructure.
- Students can study anywhere on campus with access to a variety of specialized IT facilities and the school's services thanks to the campus' complete Wi-Fi connectivity.
- There are 70 classrooms that have amenities like:
- data projection
- sound systems
- interactive whiteboards
- voting machines, and more.
- Sheffield Hallam University's online library and virtual classrooms make distance studying easier.
- Thanks to a partnership with the well-known IT company Sony, the school is currently home to the largest PlayStation in the world.
- With more than 30 sports clubs, 100 student-run organizations, a students' union, etc., the campus is typically buzzing with academic, political, religious, social, musical, and sporting events.
Faculty & Pedagogy
The faculty at Sheffield Hallam University is dedicated to helping students achieve their goals. The curriculum is designed in such a way that focuses on improving outcomes and access for students from pre-kindergarten through higher education. University initiatives are often inclusive and team-based, providing materials that reflect the most recent findings in education research and comprehension of the reality of classroom life.
Scholarships & Financial Aid
Sheffield Hallam University offers a number of scholarships, but students are only permitted to hold one scholarship at a time. Students can apply online for prestigious scholarships such as Vice-Chancellor Awards and Transform Together Scholarships and receive a 50% tuition fee reduction, which equates to between 2,000 and 3,000 GBP.
Some more scholarships include:
- Chevening Scholarship Scheme
- Events and Leisure Management Scholarship
- Performance Athlete Support Program
- GREAT Scholarships
- Commonwealth Shared Scholarship Scheme
Sheffield Hallam University Location
Address: Howard St, Sheffield City Centre, Sheffield S1 1WB, United Kingdom
Jobs & Placements
The opportunity for lucrative employment in the UK after graduation is provided through Sheffield Hallam University's relationships with more than a thousand businesses. More than 23,000 students enroll at the university each year, and 73% of them find employment in highly skilled professions paying above-average wages. Graduates from Sheffield Hallam University typically earn 28,867 GBP per year (27,60,250 INR).
Graduate students who work for insurance companies typically make 82,000 GBP annually. 96% of university graduates choose to continue their education after graduation, either through employment or further study.
- The BBC
- NHS, Siemens
- Sheffield United FC
and other well-known companies have ties to Sheffield Hallam University.
The university's career services division provides services including drafting resumes, interview practice, career planning, skill building, networking, etc. Additionally, it aids students' entrepreneurial endeavors by providing start-up guidance, workshops, networking opportunities, etc.
The best-paying degree at Sheffield Hallam University, according to Emolument, is an MBA, which may earn up to USD 123,000 yearly. The best-paying industry is insurance, which can earn up to USD 120,000.
At Sheffield Hallam University, there is a sizable alumni community.
Some of Sheffield Hallam University's well-known graduates include:
- Andy Akinwolere, British television personality
- Kal Atwal, MD of Comparethemarket.com
- Andy Carthy, Music producer and DJ
- Stephanie Hill, classical-crossover singer and Miss England 2017
- Andrea Hirata, Indonesian Writer of "The Rainbow Troops"
- David Mellor CBE, international designer and cutlery-maker
- Martin Narey, CEO of Barnardo's, and former Director General of the Prison Service
Entry Criteria & Exam Requirements
Sheffield Hallam University has a fundamental entrance criterion that you can learn more about by following the steps listed below.
- Admission requirements: online application portal
- Dual GCE/VCE A-level certifications, high school diplomas, and international credentials obtained after 13 years of secondary or higher education
- Academic transcripts and a complete certificate
- English proficiency required
- Two academic references for the postgraduate personal statement and one each for the undergraduate one.
- Copy of Passport
- Tests of English language proficiency
- Applicants who have not received their English language exam results may participate in the school's Pre-sessional English Language course.
Comparison to other Universities
- Numerous subject areas at SHU performed exceptionally well in the National Student Survey in terms of overall student satisfaction with their courses. For instance, planning came in second and geography and architecture in first.
- Hallam received the First-Class classification and was ranked 15th overall out of 151 universities in the 2015 People & Planet University League, which evaluated 151 universities based on their environmental credentials.
- The institution is the 14th-largest in the UK with 30,960 students (out of 169).
- Whether you choose to engage with businesses, give back to the community, or pick up a lacrosse stick for the first time, the opportunities you seize during your time here will equip you for the rest of your life.
- Deserving students may potentially be eligible for grants and loans from Sheffield Hallam University.