Sheridan College of Applied Science and Technology, Oakville Courses
Faculty of Applied Health & Community Studies
The Faculty of Applied Health and Community Studies offers education in health care, nursing, education, social services, child and youth care, public safety and community studies.
Fields of Study
1. Community Studies
The School of Community Studies offers courses that relate to careers in Social Services, Child and youth programs and community outreach. The school has staff who are actively related to Community-related careers. They are thus able to keep in touch with the latest trends in the field which in turn benefits the students.
The School also boasts of state-of-the-art labs wherein students gain an experiential learning experience. As in all courses in Sheridan, the college emphasizes site-field studies which prepare students to jump-start their careers without any need for further training on the job.
The Oakville and Brampton campuses offer courses which lead to a Diploma or Bachelor in Early Childhood education. Further, an educational Support Diploma is also offered. The school has a strong well-qualified faculty which leads to a high-quality degree and diploma programs.
3. Applied Health
The School of Applied Health offers programs which lead to careers in promoting health and wellness in animals and people. The four Ontario College Certificate programs provide an introduction to what awaits you in a health-based discipline. The three Ontario College Diploma programs qualify you to practise and seek a job as a health - care professional.
4. Public Safety
If careers in Police work, investigations of crime, correctional facilities and similar areas attract you, then the School of Public Safety has a lot to offer. Over and above that, you can take courses in security, institutional and community-based correctional systems, licensed paralegal to provide legal services, and emergency management.
Some of the areas in which the faculty offers Diplomas and Advanced Diplomas:
- Community and Justice Services
- Community Worker
- Outreach and Development
- Early Childhood Education
- Early Childhood Education
- Educational Support
- Educational Support
- Fast Track Intensive
- Public and Private
- Pharmacy Technician
- Police Foundations
- Practical Nursing
- Social Service Worker
- Social Service Worker
- Veterinary Technician
- Child and Youth Care
Faculty of Applied Science & Technology
The Faculty of Applied Science & Technology offers specialized education in nearly 30 programs, including computer science, applied computing and engineering.
Fields of Study
1. Applied Computing
If there is any technology that is rapidly evolving on a day-to-day basis, it is Computer Applications. And Sheridan’s School of Applied Computing is up to the task of offering you the latest in this ever-changing technology.
The department has on offer hands-on learning in leading-edge topics like :
- Information systems security, mobile and wireless technology
- Web development
- Computer programming
- Software engineering and development
- Interactive media management
- Database development
- Internet communications technology
The School of Applied Computing offers 11 computer programs covering different credentials including:
- 2-year Diplomas
- 3-year Advanced Diplomas
- 4-year Degrees
- 1-year Graduate Certificates
Many of the computing programs have subtle differences that can be challenging to decipher. However, you can contact the college to understand the specific characteristics of the courses and decide accordingly which one suits your needs.
2. Architectural Technology
If designing buildings is your forte, then head on over to the School of Architectural Technology. Here, you will learn visualization and design, design development, graphic communication, legislation, building science and structure.
3. Chemical and Environmental Sciences
The difference between Chemists and Chemical Engineers is that while Chemists work in a laboratory atmosphere, Chemical Engineers work in Chemical and Environmental industries. The advantage of taking courses in this field of study is that here, both the fields complement each other. You get to work in state-of-the-art labs as well as in Chemical plants.
The result is that graduates from this school have the best of both worlds - strong Chemical Laboratory grounding as well as on-field experiences in a Chemical or Environmental related plant. An optional co-op component provides up to three paid work terms in both technology programs.
The Environmental Control post-graduate certificate program offers an opportunity for the graduates of science and engineering programs to reorient their previous education towards careers in the environmental industry. Students enjoy the benefits of working on a project directly with an industry partner, and an optional co-op component provides a paid-work term.
Learning to apply engineering principles, methods, and techniques to conceive, design, implement and operate (CDIO) value-added engineering products, processes, and systems are the hallmarks of courses for students graduating from this school.
They have partnered with Siemens Technik Akademie Berlin to deliver the Siemens Mechatronics Systems Certification Program, a comprehensive industry skill certification.
This school offers a range of Mechanical and Electrical Engineering programs which should cater to most areas of study in this discipline.
5. Skilled Trades
The department has moved to Davis Campus and is settling in their new state-of-the-art building. This building provides students with practical skills and knowledge in industrial and/or construction trade sectors. By graduation, students will have learned in industry-standard workshops, developed the skills relevant to their chosen profession and gained the ability to begin an apprenticeship of their choice.
6. Technology Fundamentals
You want to study technology but are not exactly sure which specific area you want to be in? Then this is the right course which will help you to make up your mind. You have five subject areas to choose from — chemistry, engineering, architecture, information technology, and trades. By the end, you will be able to double down what you want to study.
Some of the areas in which the Faculty of Applied Science and Technology offers diploma and advanced diploma and certificate programmes:
- Architectural Technician/Technology
- Chemical Laboratory Technician
- Computer Engineering Technician/Technology’ Computer Programmer
- Computer Systems Technician – Software Engineering
- Electrical Engineering Technician
- Electromechanical Engineering Technician/Technology
- Electronics Engineering Technician/Technology
- Environmental Technician
- Information Technologies Support Services
- Mechanical Engineering Technician/Technology
- Mechanical Engineering Technician/Technology – Design & Drafting
- Plumbing Technician
- Tool Making, Mechanical Technician
- Welding and Fabrication Technician/Welding Techniques
- Chemical Engineering Technology
- Chemical Engineering Technology – Environmental
- Computer Systems Technology – Software Development and Network Engineering
- Computer Systems Technology – Systems Analyst
- Internet Communications Technology
- Advanced Manufacturing Management
- Environmental Control
- Game Development – Advanced Programming
- Interactive Media Management
- Quality Assurance – Manufacturing and Management.
Pilon School of Business
Are you looking for new ways to re-energize your business? Are your business skills getting jaded? Or is it that you want to start a career in business. If the answer to all of these questions is yes, then take courses in the Pilon School of Business. Here, you will get to meet students and faculty from different disciplines who might be able to give you a newer insight or even solve a marketing problem.
The School offers you the choice of completing a Post Graduate program in just one year. Following are some of the areas in which the diploma and certificate courses are offered:
- Accounting, Business Administration
- Advertising and Marketing Communications – Management; Business
- Finance, Business Administration
- Human Resources, Business Administration
- Marketing, Business Administration
- Office Administration – Executive
- Office Administration – Health Services’ Office Administration – Legal
- Advertising – Account Management
- Business Analysis and Process Management
- Creative Industries Management
- Human Resources Management
- International Business Management
- Marketing Management
- Professional Accounting
- Project Management
Faculty of Animation, Arts & Design
Fields of Study
1. Animation and Game Design
Did you know that Sheridan has been teaching animation since 1971? Yes, and this wealth of experience has made Sheridan’s art school the largest in Canada. This prestigious schools alma mater include a host who has worked in Oscar-nominated design studios including Pixar, DreamWorks and Disney. Animation Career Review named Sheridan as No. 1 among the top 100 animation schools in the world recently. The gaming discipline is a current rage, and Sheridan offers a cluster of high-demand graduate certificate programs in the discipline.
2. Design, Illustration and Photography
The department offers diploma and certificate courses. The statistics show that students graduating from these programs have very high rates of employment as compared to programs elsewhere.
3. Film, TV and Journalism
The Department of Film, TV and Journalism offers high-quality programs which ensure that graduates are “ready to work” as film, TV and documentary-makers, editors, writers, cinematographers, reporters, anchors, producers and directors in a variety of creative industries. The reputation of Sheridan ensures that graduates are not in want of high-quality employment.
4. Material Art and Design
Sheridan’s highly rated Crafts and Design program is offered by the Department of Material Art and Design. Other programs offered include a diploma program in Interior Decorating. The new rage is the Visual Merchandising Arts program, as well as the Art Fundamentals and Visual and Creative Arts program where the college offers diploma courses.
5. Visual and Performing Arts
Theatre and the courses offered by the School of Visual and Performing Arts have always been a high point in Sheridan. Courses offered to include a Certificate in Performing Arts Preparation.
Some of the areas in which the faculty offers diploma and certificate programs:
- Interior Decorating
- Makeup for Media and Creative Arts
- Theatre and Drama Studies (Honours Bachelor of Arts)
- Visual and Creative Arts
- Visual Merchandising Arts
- Art and Art History (Honours Bachelor of Arts)
- Technical Production for the Performing Arts Industry
- Advanced Special Effects Makeup, Prosthetics and Props
- Advanced Television and Film
- Computer Animation
- Digital Creature Animation -Technical Direction
- Digital Product Design
- Game Level Design
- Journalism – New Media
- Music Scoring for Screen and Stage
- Public Relations – Corporate Communications
- Visual Effects
Faculty of Humanities & Social Sciences
Sheridan believes that humanities and Social sciences are the foundation of a well-honed education. They excel in their approach to knowledge and critical thinking and harbour the belief that these traits enhance the self-confidence of Sheridan graduates.
Certificate and diploma courses offered in the following areas:
- General Arts and Science
- Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL Plus)
- Creative and Creative Problem Solving
- English Language Studies