Study at The University of Queensland (UQ)
The University of Queensland (UQ), located in Australia, dates back to 1909 when the University act signing took place. It is one of Australia's leading research and teaching institutions and has been ranked as one of the world's top 50 universities. The University’s official foundation dates back to 16 April 1910.
The motto of the university is Scientia ac Labore (Latin) which translates to ' by means of knowledge and hard work.'
UQ believes in diversity and inclusivity. The university accepts people from all origins and backgrounds. It always strives for excellence and works along to apply the highest standards to benefit communities.
UQ believes in teaching excellence. It has won more Australian Awards for University Teaching (AAUT) than any other in the country.
UQ has received more Australian Research Council funding for discovery and early-career research than any other Australian university. They have three major campuses located at St Lucia and Herston in Brisbane and Gatton. UQ has developed state-of-the-art learning spaces that aid student's demands as well as industry expectations.
UQ has established eight research institutes, many with a multidisciplinary focus:
- Australian Institute for Bioengineering and Nanotechnology
- Global Change Institute
- Institute for Molecular Bioscience
- Institute for Social Science Research
- Mater Research Institute-UQ
- Queensland Alliance for Agriculture and Food Innovation
- Queensland Brain Institute
- Sustainable Minerals Institute.
UQ has also partnered with the Translational Research Institute (TRI) which represents the future in biomedical research. TRI can discover, produce, test and manufacture new treatments and vaccines in one location. UQ established UniQuest which is one of Australia’s leading research commercialization companies.
UQ has state-of-the-art facilities for both teaching and research. It has a Student Centre that operates on each campus. It is a single point for the students to access all the services that the university offers. UQ has a separate Student Services staff whose main role is to help UQ students and staff to manage personal, career, welfare and learning issues. UQ has its safety awareness program to maximize personal safety on campus. It provides various services that include safety bus, escort service and a network of emergency call points primarily on St Lucia and Gatton campuses. The university also provides childcare facilities for all the students and staff which include kindergarten and after- school care facilities on most of the campuses. All the campuses have ATMs. Students at the main campuses of St Lucia and Gatton also have access to a post office. UQ has on-campus health services for both the staff and the students. UQ also offers dental services at St Lucia campus. UQ houses a big library that hosts around 2.17 million book titles and 158,000 journals. They are available in both electronic and printed versions. It also has an institutional repository called UQ eSpace which houses more than 363,000 items authored or co-authored by UQ-affiliated researchers. The library also has extensive cultural and historical collections. Additionally, UQ offers proper parking spaces which include accessible parking facilities for people with disabilities. Online parking maps are available with a live feed from parking spots. There are various sports facilities in St Lucia And Gatton campuses which include a fitness centre, tennis centre, aquatics centre, and athletics centre.
UQ's teaching, research, and other facilities in Brisbane and Queensland include:
Boyce Gardens; UQ Brisbane City; Customs House; Heron Island Research Station; Julius Kruttschnitt Mineral Research Centre; Long Pocket; Medicine clinical units and teaching hospitals; Moreton Bay Research Station; Pharmacy Australia Centre of Excellence; Pinjarra Hills Research Facility; UQ seismograph stations; UQ Vets Dayboro
Fully furnished unserviced two-bedroom apartments are provided by Dell Lodge for the University Affiliated visitors. The apartments are conveniently located at a 2-minute walk from St Lucia campus with a 5-minute walk from supermarkets and restaurants. They can be reached in 20-minutes via bus to Brisbane CBD.
UQ has many approved accommodation providers who offer high quality serviced residences for the students. These places can be pre-booked. They have students from various universities and may also have non-student residents. These accommodations can be booked via the University's student service.
UQ also offers on-campus accommodations and believes that living in a university will enhance the student's experience and result in stronger academic progression and university results. They offer 10 Residential Colleges that are home to over 3,000 students from Australia and overseas studying at Brisbane universities.
UQ also has a website called UQ Rentals which features vacant rooms and properties that are suitable for students and staff. They can be booked via the registered student or staff ID.
UQ also offers a guaranteed accommodation program that confirms accommodation facilities for the students.
Many scholarships are provided by UQ for deserving students. They also allow a person to hold more than one scholarship at a time based on the rules and eligibility criteria. Numerous scholarships are open throughout the year.
Study Area Scholarships - UQ offers Study area scholarships which can be applied for by students who are enrolled in a specific degree, school or faculty, or are involved in researching or studying a particular topic. These scholarships are available throughout the year.
Research Scholarships - Research scholarships are funded by UQ, the Australian Government, private donors, international organizations, or other sources. The funding covers tuition fees, living expenses, travel, and other costs. The scholarships are meant for research students.
Equity Scholarships - UQ believes in equal access to education. Equity scholarships are designed to financially support students from low socio-economic or under-represented backgrounds.
Sporting Scholarships - UQ, an Elite Athlete Friendly University, provides scholarships for sporting excellence. The students who exhibit excellence in their chosen sport will be awarded the scholarship.
UQ Academic Scholarships Program - The UQ Academic Scholarships Program is an undergraduate scholarship scheme. Three scholarships are offered in the program:
- UQ Vice-Chancellor’s Scholarships
- UQ Excellence Scholarships
- UQ Merit Scholarships
Up to 150 scholarships are awarded through the program each year.
Employability Grants are designed for UQ students to enhance their employability through activities like an exchange, global opportunities, entrepreneurial activities, and volunteering.
Jobs and Placements
UQ offers the Student Employability Centre which provides students with opportunities, choices, and support with respect to career development and enhancement. UQ believes that each student has their aspirations, and it strives to guide the students so that they can become masters in their chosen field of study. Students are provided with opportunities to have global experiences by participating in conferences and research opportunities. Students are provided with more than 220 clubs and societies to excel in their careers. The University’s outstanding 268,000-plus alumni include a Nobel laureate, an Academy Award winner, and leaders in government, law, science, public service, and the arts. The average job placement rate for graduates from UQ is 78.2% for an average full-time rate for Bachelor's degree, and the national average is 73.3%.
In 2018, the University had more than 53,000 students including 18,000 international students from 134 countries. UQ's more than 18,600 postgraduate students include one of Australia's largest PhD cohorts, celebrating its 13,000th PhD degree in 2017.
The top recruiters employing graduates from the university include University of Queensland, GREEN CROSS, Aecom Corporation, Flight Centre Ltd, RACQ.
- St Lucia - The University’s main campus is located in St Lucia. The campus has more than 10 direct bus routes from the Brisbane CBD and outer suburbs which stop at UQ's bus station located at Chancellor’s Place and the Lakes. A congestion-free service is also provided through rapid-transit busways. Frequent bus services are available from Indooroopilly Shopping Centre and Toowong. UQ also provides staff and students with a free intercampus bus service to travel between St Lucia and Gatton campuses and also between St Lucia and Long Pocket. The nearest train stations to the St Lucia campus are Toowong, Park Road, and Dutton Park. CityCats is a ferry service and is a scenic way to travel to St Lucia campus from riverside suburbs.
- Gatton - The campus at Gatton was formed by merging with the Queensland Agricultural College in 1990. Gatton is UQ's rural campus and is located in the Lockyer Valley, 87 kilometres west of Brisbane's city centre, and halfway between Ipswich and Toowoomba. People can reach the Gatton University campus via the rail-bus service. This service runs between Brisbane and Gatton. From Brisbane, catch an Ipswich-Rosewood-line train to Rosewood station and then transfer onto the 539 bus to Gatton campus. The journey takes about 2 hours. The Gatton campus is located on the Warrego Highway, just over an hour's drive west of Brisbane, and 10 minutes from the centre of Gatton.
- Herston - The third campus of the University, established in 2010, is located in Herston. The campus is located very near to Brisbane CBD. This campus is located three kilometres from Brisbane's city centre. It has services from more than a dozen direct bus routes from the Brisbane CBD. Several of these routes travel via rapid-transit busways, which offer congestion-free services to and from campus. Royal Brisbane and Women’s Hospital busway stop, Herston busway stop, Bramston Terrace bus stops and Herston Road bus stops are the closest to the campus. The nearest train stations to Herston campus are Windsor, Bowen Hills, and Fortitude Valley. Parking around Herston is extremely limited. The Royal Brisbane and Women's Hospital have three privately-run car parks, however, they can be expensive.