Cornell University Overview
Cornell University Brief background & Overview
Cornell University started in 1865, is a private research university that was established with the aim of imparting education and making contributions in all fields of knowledge. It has established itself as an Ivy League institution and is considered one of the best universities in the world. The university is generally classified into seven undergraduate colleges, seven graduate divisions, and two medical colleges.
April 27, 1865
|Ezra Cornell & Andrew Dickson White|
|I would found an institution where any person can find instruction in any study|
|Ithaca, New York, United States|
Private Statutory Research University
Faculty to Student Ratio
4,800 acres (19 km2)
Official Website Link
The University offers various degrees through schools such as:
- The Law School
- The Samuel Curtis Johnson Graduate School of Management
- The College of Engineering
- The Weill Cornell Medical College
The University was ranked 14 by QS World University Rankings and 16th by U.S. News & World Report National Universities ranking in 2019. The University had a 10.3% rate of acceptance for Freshmen for Fall 2018.
Its College of Engineering offers undergraduate and graduate programs in
- Applied and Engineering Physics
- Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering
- Computer Science
- Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
Cornell University Virtual Tour
Cornell University ranking is #18 in the QS Global World Ranking 2021. It testifies how excellent this university is and what stature it holds among the study abroad aspirants around the globe. US News has ranked this university as #18 among the national universities in its Best College Rankings 2021. Also, The Times Higher Education ranks Cornell University as #19 in its World University Rankings 2021.
Cornell University acceptance rate is around 10%. It shows that it's very hard to get into this university. It is one of the most competitive schools in the world.
The average SAT score required to get admission into Cornell University is 680-750 in reading and writing, while 710-790 in Math. The average GRE scores required to get into the university are 149-153 in Verbal and 161-165 in Quant.
Cornell campus spread over 2300 acres, is a sight to behold. The campus comprises various laboratories, academic buildings, administrative buildings, athletic facilities, museums, and auditoriums. The campus is broadly divided into Central, North, and West Campus. The campus also has state-of-the-art lecture halls, research centers, the 11th largest academic library system in the country, a number of restaurants, bars, and cafes.
Cornell University provides on-campus accommodation to its students and has various dormitories, apartments, cooperative houses, and Greek residences.
However, most graduate students prefer staying on the campus and stay in areas such as:
- Collegetown Plaza
- Ravenwood Apartments
- Gun Hill Residences
- Eddygate Park Apartments
Faculty and pedagogy
Being one of the finest Universities in the country, it is no wonder then that Cornell University has some of the best professors in tfhe country. Quite a number of their teachers are Nobel laureates, Marshall Scholars, and Rhodes Scholars.
Cornell University fees for Indian students is around $30,000 annually. The average off-campus living cost is around $6,000.
As mentioned above, Cornell University is a private University and thus there are very few scholarships available. However, there are plenty of on-campus or off-campus jobs. Cornell students can also apply for Research Assistantship or Teaching Assistantship.
Jobs and placements
The university was ranked 36th in the US in terms of salaries offered for different programs. 45% of the Alumni say their job makes the world a better place. Girls earn between $46,238 - $102,764, and boys make $55,032 - $124,809.
The top recruiters include:
- Cornell University
- International Business Machines (IBM) Corp - $67,163 - $126,902
- Lockheed Martin Corp - $60,921 - $108,004
- J.P. Morgan Chase & Co. (JPMCC) - $66,081 - $130,056
- Google, Inc. -$78,000 - $132,665
Popular job profiles and the average salaries are:
- Software Engineer -$102,561
- Project Manager, (Unspecified Type / General)- $82,600
- Data Scientist - $105,246
- Veterinarian - $80,408
- Data Analyst - $62,304
- Senior Software Engineer - $125,164
- Master of Science (MS) earn between $54,157 - $123,876
- Master of Engineering (MEng / ME) makes between $64,221 - $110,835
- The average salary of Master of Professional Studies (MPS) is $78,967
Cornell University was reported 51st in the US for the Return on Investment (ROI) with 20 Year Net ROI = $646,000 and Annual ROI = 6.5 %. 1395 found the jobs after passing out from Cornell extremely satisfying and rated 4 out of 5.
- Ratan Naval Tata, Indian industrialist, philanthropist, and a former chairman of Tata Sons. He was the chairman of Tata Group
- Carl Bass, Former CEO and president of Autodesk (2006–2017)
- Al Bernardin, Creator of the McDonald's Quarter Pounder, former vice president of Product Development for McDonald's
- Jeffrey Bleustein, Chairman and former CEO of Harley Davidson
- Heather Cho, Former VP of Korean Air, fired after Nut Rage incident
- Alonzo G. Decker, Jr, Former president, CEO and chairman of the board of Black & Decker
- Eric Daniels, Former CEO of Lloyds Banking Group
- Deena Varshavskaya, Founder and CEO of Wanelo
Being one of the finest Universities in the country, the university has a long list of famous alumni. The list of Cornell University notable alumni include Chief Technical Officer of Cisco Systems Padmasree Warrior, Co-founder, and Chairman of Qualcomm Irwin M. Jacobs, and Inventor of Air-Conditioning Willis Carrier.
After all that we have said, is there anything more left to say? Well, Cornell University is right there at the top and if you have got an acceptance from the University, you better not reject it – unless you have somewhere better to go!
Cornell University Location
Cornell University runs at multiple locations with the main campus at Ithaca, at the heart of New York’s lake region. Cornell University has a traditional college campus with eateries, residence halls, academic and research buildings, and a library. The natural ambiance with nearby lakes, natural waterfalls, and gardens makes your visit and stay at the university pleasant and memorable.
The campus can be reached using the street address of Day Hall at 144 East Avenue, Ithaca, NY 14853. If you are driving to the campus, you can use the details on the website’s road closures page for assistance.
Some of the nearest airports to the university are:
- Syracuse Hancock International Airport (61miles)
- Greater Rochester International Airport (94 miles)
- Buffalo Niagara International Airport (146 miles)
and so on.
Cornell University Map Location
Ithaca, NY 14850, United States