University of British Columbia Overview
University of British Columbia - Overview & Background
The University of British Columbia, Vancouver campus, is spread over more than 400 hectares and is surrounded by forest on three sides and ocean on the fourth. The University of British Columbia (UBC) is a global centre for teaching, learning and research, consistently ranked among the top 20 public universities in the world and recently recognized as North America’s most international university.
The university has two major campuses—in Vancouver and the Okanagan— with more than 65,000 students from Canada and those from 140+ countries around the world. UBC consistently ranks as one of the world’s top research universities. Globally connected, they attract the highest calibre research faculty and students and approximately $600 million in research funding each year. UBC offers graduate scholars with multidisciplinary research opportunities and rigorous preparation for meaningful and diverse careers across a wide range of disciplines.
Henry Marshall Tory
Public Research University
It is up to you, It is yours
|Vancouver, British Columbia|
|Faculty to Student Ratio||
Vancouver: 4.020 km2 (993 acres)
Official Website Link
University of British Columbia Virtual Tour
UBC is affiliated with a number of research institutes, centres, organizations, and hospitals, some of which are listed below. The university's Vancouver Campus houses the majority of these facilities among others.
- Institute for Aboriginal Health
- Institute for Applied Mathematics
- Institute of Asian Research
- Center for Advanced Wood Processing
- Animal Welfare Program
- Centre for Applied Ethics
- Advanced Materials & Process Engineering Laboratory (AMPEL)
- College of Health Disciplines
- Michael Smith Laboratories
Clinical Academic Campuses
- BC Cancer Agency
- BC Children’s Hospital & Sunny Hill Health Centre for Children
- BC Women’s Hospital & Health Centre
- Kelowna General Hospital
Affiliated Regional Centres
- Abbotsford Regional Hospital
- Campbell River & District General Hospital
- Chilliwack General Hospital
There are numerous residences available on campus at reasonable rates. It could be anything from single rooms to shared six-bedded ones. There are vibrant common areas for socializing and plenty of space for study time. Most of the residencies have an associated mandatory meal plan. The residencies also have dining rooms always stocked with nutritious dishes.
Some famous alumni from The University of British Columbia include:
- Bertram Brockhouse, Nobel Price in Physics, 1994
- Robert Mundell, Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences, 1999
- Kanti Bajpai, K. Subrahmanyam Award
- Arthur Erickson, AIA Gold Medal | Companion of the Order of Canada | Gold Medal of the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada | Honorary Fellow of the Royal Institute of British Architects
- David Cheriton, SIGCOMM Lifetime Achievement Award, 2003
University of British Columbia Location
The university is 15 km (30 minutes) from the Vancouver Airport. It is just a 30-minute bus ride to Vancouver's downtown core. The campus also has two additional sites, one in the heart of downtown Vancouver at Robson Square, and another at Centre for Digital Media. The nearest railway station is less than a kilometer, and it is only a ten-minute walk. There are numerous city buses that connect the university to the rest of the city.
Amongst some of the best places to visit in the city is Stanley Park and Granville Island. The Grouse Mountain offers a great panoramic view, and the Kitsilano Beach serves as a source of respite.
The University of British Columbia Map Location
Address: Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z4, Canada
The university provides various kinds of financial support for the students who are looking to fund their education like student loans from the US and Canada governments to support post-secondary education, scholarships and bursaries, Find a job programme. Additionally, it also provides financial planning services to the students.
Jobs and Placements
The university provides career support services to its students. Some of them are as follows:
- The online job and volunteer board for UBC students and alumni.
- This service provides students with the tools which will help you to build your career.
Career events & workshops
- Students get to explore career avenues and interests by meeting with different people, organizations and companies.
- The university helps students employers connect with UBC students and alumni by posting jobs opportunities and hosting information sessions and fairs.
The top recruiters employing graduates from the university include: University of British Columbia (UBC), FLIR Systems, Inc., StemCell Technologies Inc.
Frequently Asked Questions about The University of British Columbia
What GPA do you need for University of British Columbia?
A minimum GPA of 80% is required for applicants to be considered for admission to UBC. This means that if you wish to enroll in a programme at UBC, you must ensure that your academic performance is up to par.
Is UBC hard to get into?
The admissions procedure at UBC is competitive and standardized. UBC compares your application to every other one it gets this year for the same degree. Post-secondary applicants may be evaluated based on a range of criteria, including their GPA, any necessary courses, and an analysis of their entire academic record.
Is University of British Columbia good?
UBC has consistently ranked among the top 5% of universities worldwide in the most well-known and respected lists. Based on its contributions through research, outreach, and stewardship, UBC ranks second in Canada overall and thirteenth globally for 2021 out of more than 1,115 participating institutions from 94 countries.
Is British Columbia good for international students?
Because of its internationally acclaimed educational system and transfer system, British Columbia is one of the most sought-after places in the world for international students. You can get financial aid while studying in British Columbia through a variety of scholarships and special initiatives.