Griffith University Overview
Griffith University - Overview & Background
The university started around 40 years back, and it has now become a comprehensive, research-intensive university and ranks among the top 2% of universities worldwide. The university is spread across six campuses in South East Queensland and has all disciplines with a total intake of 50,000 students.
The university conducts a wide span of research activities. It covers a broad spectrum of areas, from chronic diseases to criminology and Asian politics to the arts. The Analysis of Excellence in Research for Australia 2018 found 99% of the research outputs were rated at world standard or above.
The experts work in research centres developing new knowledge in a range of specialist areas:
- Medicine and healthcare
- Emerging technologies
- Social innovations
- Learning and the arts
- Governance and policy development.
The research centres of the university are:
- Centre for Clean Environment and Energy
- Centre for Governance and Public Policy
- Centre for Quantum Dynamics
- Centre for Work, Organisation and Well Being
- Griffith Centre for Social and Cultural Research
- Law Futures Centre
- Queensland Conservatorium Research Centre
- Queensland Micro- and Nanotechnology Centre
- Australian Research Centre for Human Evolution
- Griffith Centre for Design and Innovation Research
The externally funded research centres are:
- ARC Research Hub for Driving Farming Productivity and Disease Prevention
- Australian Institute for Suicide Research and Prevention
- Centre for Applied Health Economics
- Clem Jones Centre for Neurobiology and Stem Cell Research
- Griffith Centre for Coastal Management
- The Hopkins Centre
- National Centre for Neuroimmunology and Emerging Diseases
- National Climate Change Adaptation Research Facility
- Recover Injury Research Centre
- Prostate Cancer Survivorship
- Sustainable Built Environment National Research Centre
Engineering at Griffith is rated 5-stars for Skills Development, Educational Experience, Teaching Quality and Student Support by the Good Universities Guide 2018 - a leading independent provider of high-quality education and career information.
The university is ranked #1 in South East Queensland for student satisfaction and teaching quality for engineering.
Chancellor Theodor Bray and Vice Chancellor John Willett
Public Research University
Know More. Do More.Be remarkable
|Faculty to Student Ratio||
Official Website Link
+61 7 3735 7111
Griffith University Virtual Tour
There are limited on-campus accommodation facilities available. There are lots of planned social activities, study support and 24/7 pastoral support and care. It also provides a safe and secure environment with security on campus 24 hours a day.
The university has enlisted the guidelines and procedures related to a presentation of oneself, professional behaviour and healthcare on their website. There is also a code of conduct and behaviour described at the website of the university. The university has a centralised placement system that encompasses all the departments of the university.
The university hosts events and workshops towards the student placement programme. The Unitemps Griffith is an employment agency based at the university for students and graduates. It offers the flexibility of work assignments from casual to full-time roles. Staffing services are also provided to employers who can enlist open positions on a portal.
Some famous alumni from Griffith University include:
- Aidan McLindon, Former state politician
- Andrew Fraser, Former state politician and Deputy Premier; winner of the University Medal
- Joanna Lindgren, Former Senator for Queensland
- Matt McEachan, Former state politician
- Daniel Amalm, Musician and actor and alumnus of the Queensland Conservatorium
- Betty Beath, Composer, pianist, and music educator, and alumnus of the Queensland Conservatorium
- Robert Braiden, Film director
Sarah Crane, Operatic soprano and alumnus of the Queensland Conservatorium
Financial Aid Programmes
At the International Financial Aid Office, the university helps students who are financing their studies through their home country’s financial aid or student loan programmes. The students can access a range of financial support options, including interest-free loans, bursaries and budgeting workshops. The university also undertakes budgeting workshops and emergency advances.
There are also scholarship programmes based on eligibility. The university has more than 600 scholarships, which help make the dream of studying in the university a reality for a variety of new and continuing students. Some of these include:
- Deans Sir Samuel Griffith and Sir Samuel Griffith Scholarships
- Chancellor's Scholarships
- Widening Participation Scholarships
- Indigenous Commonwealth Education and Accommodation Scholarships
- Indigenous Commonwealth Reward Scholarships
- The George Alexander Foundation Scholarship
- Griffith University Refugee Scholarship
- Griffith Futures Scholarship
- Griffith Sports Excellence Scholarships
- Adam Scott Foundation Business Scholarship
- Abedian Foundation Griffith Futures Scholarship
- ACCENTURE Bursary - IT
- ADG Engineering Bursary
- AMP Adviser Academy Tuition Fee Bursary
- AGL Energy Ltd Honours Scholarship
- AMP New Entrants Scholarship
- Arrow Energy Scholarship
- Beryl Stevens Memorial Bursary for Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander Peoples
- Beryl Stevens Memorial Bursary for Mature-Age Student
- Clem Jones Sporting Scholarship
- Eberhard Wenzel Award for International Public Health
Griffith University Location
The university is located in three cities in South East Queensland. They are at the Gold Coast, Logan, Mt Gravatt, Nathan and South Bank.
The Brisbane Airport is the main international airport serving South East Queensland. It is well connected to the rest of the world.
Queensland Rail operates ten suburban lines and three interurban lines centering in the Brisbane City.
The university campuses are well connected by bus as well as cabs.
Some of the best places to visit in the region is the Brisbane Botanic Gardens, the Queensland Art Gallery & Gallery of Modern Art, the South Bank and the cruises.
Griffith University Map Location
Address:29PJ+VH Southport, Queensland, Australia