The AAUW (American Association of University Women) international fellowships support women from non-US countries for graduate or postgraduate studies in the US. The AAUW is a non-profit organization central to the US feminist rise in higher education, stretching its history since 1881. The fellowships aim to help candidates who align with the organization’s vision and are expected to have a commitment to uplifting women and girls in their home countries. A limited number of awards are available outside the US but not in the applicant’s home country.
American Association of University Women
20,000 - 50,000 USD
Type of scholarship
Level of program
01 August 2023 - 15 November 2023
Maximum 5 fellowships are renewable
The fellowship takes care of all the major expenses, such as those listed below:
- AAUW International Fellowships provide funding for tuition, living expenses, books, and supplies based on the recipient's academic program and financial need.
- The fellowship is awarded for one academic year, with the possibility of renewal for a second year in select programs.
- Recipients can utilize fellowship funds for research-related expenses, including data collection, laboratory work, fieldwork, and travel.
- Fellowship recipients have access to networking opportunities through AAUW, including events, conferences, and activities that facilitate collaborations and academic/professional growth.
- Fellows become part of the AAUW community, accessing resources for career development, mentorship, and ongoing support through AAUW's network of alumni.
The AAUW fellowship eligibility requirements are as follows:
- Applicants must hold citizenship or permanent residency outside of the United States.
- Applicants must have completed their undergraduate education at a non-U.S. institution.
- The fellowships support full-time graduate or postgraduate studies in any field at an accredited U.S. institution.
- Applicants should demonstrate how their intended degree will contribute to their career or home country/community.
- Financial need must be demonstrated.
- Proficiency in English is required, with possible submission of test scores.
- Applicants should demonstrate a commitment to women's empowerment and gender equity.
- Explore the various fellowship programs offered by AAUW and identify the one(s) that align with your academic goals and interests.
- Collect all the necessary documents, including academic transcripts, letters of recommendation, a CV or resume, a personal statement, and any additional materials required by the specific fellowship program.
- Complete the online application form provided by AAUW. Enter your personal details, academic information, and upload the required documents.
- Write a compelling personal statement that highlights your academic achievements, career goals, leadership experiences, community involvement, and commitment to promoting gender equity.
- Request letters of recommendation from individuals who can speak to your academic abilities, character, and potential for success in your chosen field.
- If applicable, submit proof of English proficiency, such as TOEFL or IELTS scores, unless exempted.
- Review your application carefully to ensure all information is accurate and complete. Submit your application before the specified deadline.
- Pay any required application fee, if applicable, as specified by the fellowship program.
Apply here for AAUW International Fellowships
The selection process is done based on AAUW motifs. The panel reviews all applications and recommends the eligible ones. The AAUW gives the final approval and selects the beneficiaries.
The selection is based on various priorities, such as:
- Academic or professional qualifications
- Financial need
- Motivation to study or research
- The decision to return to the home country post the fellowship tenure
- Commitment to women and girls in the applicant’s home country
- Quality of the proposed research or study plan
- Time schedule proposed
- Prior experience in community service
- Relevance of the particular program in the candidate’s country
Address: 1310 L St. NW, Suite 1000, Washington, DC 20005 202.785.7700
Email: [email protected]
Disclaimer: The information on this page is taken from the official website of AAUW International Fellowships. See the original source for any change in the data provided, like dates, facts, etc.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the AAUW International Fellowship amount for Master’s, Doctoral, and Postdoctoral students?
The maximum amount of AAUW International Fellowship for various degrees is given below:
- For Master’s: 20,000 USD
- For Doctoral studies: 25,000 USD
- For Postdoctoral studies: 50,000 USD
Is there any age limit to apply for AAUW International Fellowships?
The AAUW specifies no age limit for international fellowships. Eligible students, irrespective of their age, can apply for the AAUW International Fellowships.
What are the minimum IELTS or TOEFL scores required for AAUW International Fellowships?
The minimum IELTS and TOEFL score requirement for AAUW International Fellowships is given below:
- IELTS - 6.5
- TOEFL iBT - 79
- TOEFL Essentials - 8.5
- Revised TOEFL Paper-Delivered Test - 60
Which fields of study are eligible for AAUW International Fellowships?
AAUW International Fellowships are available for almost all fields of study if the student meets the eligibility criteria. Generally, the fellowships aim to create future leaders in business, government, academia, community activism, the arts, or scientific fields. Students who can be future leaders in these fields can apply for the fellowships.
Are distance learning or online programs eligible for AAUW International Fellowships?
AAUW International Fellowships do not support distance learning or online programs.