The Lester B. Pearson International Scholarship is a highly prestigious scholarship program offered by the University of Toronto to outstanding international students. Awarded to one student from each school, around 37 Lester B. Pearson Scholars are selected annually. Fresh undergraduate students at UoT, who demonstrate exceptional academic achievement, creativity, leadership potential, and a commitment to community service.
The scholarship is named after Lester B. Pearson, a former Prime Minister of Canada, who won the Nobel Peace Prize for his efforts in resolving the Suez Canal crisis. It aims to recognize and reward students who embody the values of Mr. Pearson, such as compassion, intellectual curiosity, and a strong desire to make a positive impact on society.
University of Toronto
Type of scholarship
Level of program
What are the benefits of the scholarship?
Beneficiaries of the Lester B. Pearson International Scholarships will receive significant financial support for their study at the University of Toronto. The following are the major areas of cost-coverage for the scholarship:
- Tuition fees
- Book fees
- Incidental fees
- Full residence support
What are the eligibility criteria for the scholarship?
To be eligible for the Lester B. Pearson International Scholarship, a student must fulfill the following basic requirements:
- Be an international student (i.e. a non-Canadian requiring a study permit)
- Be in the final year of study or graduated after June month of the year application
- Must commence study at the University of Toronto in September month of the application year
- Have excellent academic scores
- Exhibit leadership and other exceptional qualities
What is the application process for the scholarship?
- Apply to the University of Toronto.
- The application is made through respective schools and not directly by the applicant.
- Eligible students must contact their school guidance counsellor, who will nominate the top candidate.
- The nominated applicant will receive a personalised link for the scholarship application.
- Complete the Lester B Pearson Scholarship application online.
Apply here for Lester B Pearson International Scholarship.
How to get selected for the scholarship?
- The applicant’s school nominates the most deserving candidate for the scholarship.
- Only one student per year is nominated by a school.
- Selection priority falls on extraordinary meritorious students. Leadership, creativity, potential to contribute to society, etc., are critical in selecting the perfect candidate.
What are the contact details of the scholarship?
Scholarship-related inquiries: [email protected]
Disclaimer: All the information provided on this page is obliged to the official website of the University of Toronto. See the official website for any change in dates and other scholarship-related information.
Frequently asked questions
Which is a scholarship for international students at the University of Toronto?
Lester B. Pearson International Scholarship Program offers funding for international students at the University of Toronto
Is Lester B. Pearson International Scholarship fully funded?
No. The scholarship covers tuition fees, book costs, incidental fees, and full residence support. Other expenses are not included in the scholarship.
What is the age limit for Lester B. Pearson International Scholarship?
There is no age limit to apply for Lester B. Pearson International Scholarship.
How to get nominated for the Lester B. Pearson International Scholarship?
It is mandatory that students must be nominated by their department for Lester B. Pearson International Scholarship. Contact your school with relevant documents showing your eligibility for the scholarship, such as excellent academic performance and involvement in extracurricular activities.
Are extracurricular activities crucial for Lester B. Pearson International Scholarship?
Yes. Every year the Lester B. Pearson International Scholarship Committee receives thousands of nominations from schools across the globe, but only 37 students are given the scholarship. Extracurricular involvements showing leadership and humanitarian values are crucial to getting selected for the scholarship.